Over 150k miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other interesting, to me, tidbits from my conversation with my service guy today. I asked about changing the transmission fluid. He said 150K. He said that they don't like opening up the transmissions because of problems that can result so they actually recommend not doing it until 150K.

He said my brake fluid look like it was just off the showroom floor as clean as it can possibly be. Even after a fair bit of driving around in the dirt and dust.
I ask about changing the suspension he said the rare would probably go until 150K. The front might need to be done before 100K.

The bottom line is that this truck will not require as much servicing as I had once thought. If I continue to take care of it along the way it should easily get to 200 K.

He did agree that changing the oil twice as often as recommended, especially with the amount of off roading I do, would be a good idea.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Dan,

Thank you for this information - very helpful. I am responding to your e-mail tonight. Thank you again for reaching out. I've missed you guys.

Regards, David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why not, if you ask. Pretty sure they use the same BG detergents and hardware as well, since Land Rover recommends these products as gas additives every 15K miles to keep fuel injectors clean in all their petrol engines.They will likely charge twice as much as an indy shop, though.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much! So I take it this could not be done at the dealership?

David, my service rep (dealer) told me yesterday that if I had a 2013 or earlier they would definitely recommend me doing this now and on a regular basis in the future. So he basically echoed what others have been saying. (Of course an Indy could do it. I happen to have a really good service rep so I like to get his opinion on things. He doesn't encourage me to do service I don't need. But he also knows I want to make this things last for 200K and he knows what type of driving I do.)

The newer model with the SCV6 obviously wouldn't do the same sort of service. But they have apparently developed a different one for the SCV6 and will be getting trained on hit soon. He is going to call me when they are ready and I will bring it back in to have that done.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 RRS made it to 208K miles in just over 7 years of ownership ...... I have 72K miles on my 2013 already, and so far it has been even more reliable than my Sport.

Is most of your driving highway/trips or a long highway daily commute? I imagine it must be because there wouldn't be enough time left over after driving that much in a city and still have any kind of decent career ;)

Before I had a few vehicles to spread out the mileage, my 1996 Discovery was clocking about 30,000/ year from 2000 to 2005. Never "broke down" but man, I think everything under the hood was replaced aside from engine and transmission ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99