P*ss poor gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't the gov. numbers say it's 14-17? If you're driving in the city mostly, I'm not surprised. I do mostly city driving but about 30% on the highway and still only avg about 250 miles per gallon. That said, I fill up with about 50-60 miles left as our gas light comes on around 40.

No offense to anyone but when I bought the truck, I fully expected it to be in this range as my old 2004 v8 4runner was just a little better at around 275-285 miles per gallon. I'm not sure if there is an issue so much as people realizing they bought a v8 375hp/375lbs-ft of torque, 5500lb badass truck.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't the gov. numbers say it's 14-17? If you're driving in the city mostly, I'm not surprised. I do mostly city driving but about 30% on the highway and still only avg about 250 miles per gallon. That said, I fill up with about 50-60 miles left as our gas light comes on around 40.

No offense to anyone but when I bought the truck, I fully expected it to be in this range as my old 2004 v8 4runner was just a little better at around 275-285 miles per gallon. I'm not sure if there is an issue so much as people realizing they bought a v8 375hp/375lbs-ft of torque, 5500lb badass truck.

No offense taken. I am not getting even close to 18 while driving on 200 miles on the highway. I don't expect it to compete with prius but it should at least give me what its rated for! I do 90% highway driving and I am getting 14 or less. I am driving very conservatively. I don't accelerate hard or brake hard.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get your vehicle checked out. I have 1500 miles on my LR4 and just finished a weekend trip that was 500 miles of highway and city driving. I averaged 18.5 per gallon.

I know this is a stupid question, but are you using premium fuel?

I took a day trip last week to Portland and averaged 15.5 for a straight 200 mile stretch. This was a calm day with no rain or wind. I did not have extra load. Just 2 average weight passengers. I would have expected to get close to 17 or 18 on 200 miles of 60-80mph conservative driving!

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OMG - I have very similar gas mileage and I have been driving very conservatively - it goes against my natural desire, but I can't stand to watch the gauge go down!

Mine idles very high, but I have also been experiencing something that I thought I was imagining...but, maybe not, since reading your post. When I begin to accelerate starting in first gear and, I am accelerating very slowly, the car actually revs to over 2000 RPM and holds there all by itself without shifting into 2nd - I can even take my foot off the gas pedal entirely. All of a sudden it shifts. I feel like it does this at higher gears as well but on a less noticeable level since I am already in motion. It is as if the car is overriding me and giving gas without my input.

Does this at all sound like what you are experiencing?

I don't know if this is what is happening with mine. Mine idles around 500-600 rpms. When I let off the gas going 60-70, RPMs don't go down but stay around 1800-2000 depending on the speed I am driving. I would expect that when I let off the gas the RPMs should drop somewhat. Am I wrong in that assumption?

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get your vehicle checked out. I have 1500 miles on my LR4 and just finished a weekend trip that was 500 miles of highway and city driving. I averaged 18.5 per gallon.

I know this is a stupid question, but are you using premium fuel?

Premium all the way

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually calculating which is 1.3 - 1.8 mpg lower than in dash one. Called the dealer. They said they can look at it but have not heard of any obvious issues.

Guys, is there a TSB out there for low gas mileage?
I've noticed this as well. While I haven't been keeping track, I do a quick calculation with my iPhone calculator after every fill-up. I recall my actual calculations to be between 1.2 to 2 mpg lower. I filled up today and here are my numbers:

Miles driven: 299
Computer Ave Speed: 30
Computer Ave MPG: 19.0
Gallons pumped: 17.539
Actual MPG: 299 / 17.539 = 17.05

Descrepency = 1.95 MPG

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I normally get somewhere around 16mpg for most of my tanks. I live in the burbs, but most of my trips are short. The only time I see anything over that is when we are on a trip or I am running down to a local State park to MTB.

From what I have found, the load in the truck means little to the mileage. Some of my best numbers were running fully loaded (5 people, luggage and a huge cooler strapped to the back of the hitch mounted hauler) in 90+ weather. My biggest factors against the mileage have been speed and wind.

If I get in that sweet spot, 55-70 I can get almost 20mpg calculated, which the computer will tell me is about 20.2mpg. Any thing higher them 73, I can expect no better than 18mpg. Anything higher than 80, I'm now into the low 17s. At 90, I get somewhere around 16.7mpg

My computer used to be pretty far off and was optomistic by 1.2-2mpg as sated here by another memeber. Mine is much closer to reality now. I also have almost 12K on the clock. My first service is coming in July.

Rob

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ethanol content ?

Is your consumption consistent accross different fuel brands ?

I have not been paying attention to that.
Should that matter?

same answer for different brands.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM