P*ss poor gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summer blend gas causes worse gas mileage. I don't remember the technical reason but I think it has to do with less "energy" for this type of blended gas and requires more for the same amount in "normal" gas, all else being equal in the vehicle/driving...someone smarter with better understanding can probably explain better.

LR4Buckeye

Reaction score
I have noticed at fill ups that I'm putting in 17 or 18 gallons and I remember reading the tank is supposed to hold 23. I am running the range down to single digit miles so what do you guys think it is? Is the range that off? Or does the tank not hold 23 gallons?

I'm guessing its the range...

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed at fill ups that I'm putting in 17 or 18 gallons and I remember reading the tank is supposed to hold 23. I am running the range down to single digit miles so what do you guys think it is? Is the range that off? Or does the tank not hold 23 gallons?

I've been wondering the same thing too. My "Low Fuel" light usually comes when it shows about 41 miles to go. I thought I had read that when the light comes on, there's 3 gallons left -- or am I mistaken? I've let it go as low as about 20 miles left to go, but the most I've ever filled up is 18 gallons.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Same for me, but so far I've never let it go below 1/4 of a tank. I should run it down and check, but it does not seem to have 23 gallon capacity?

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tank does have a 23 gallon capacity, but you cannot fill the entire tank with gasoline. A certain percentage of the tank cannot be filled in order to account for the pressure from evaporation esp on hot days. The range is always underestimated. This will reduce the chance of people actually running out of gas by making them fill up sooner.

LR4Buckeye

Reaction score
The tank does have a 23 gallon capacity, but you cannot fill the entire tank with gasoline. A certain percentage of the tank cannot be filled in order to account for the pressure from evaporation esp on hot days. The range is always underestimated. This will reduce the chance of people actually running out of gas by making them fill up sooner.

Sounds logical... Thank you sir.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this standard practice or is this just a LR thing? Because my previous car was a 1998 Mercedes ML320 with an advertised 19 gallon tank and that seemed accurate -- e.g. when the low fuel light comes on, it took about 16 gallons. If I run it really low, I'll put in close to 18 gallons.

The LR4 advertises 22.8 gallon tank, but when the low fuel light comes on, I can only fill up around 17.5 gallons. So does this mean it can really only hold about 20.5 gallons?

Last edited:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this standard practice or is this just a LR thing? Because my previous car was a 1998 Mercedes ML320 with an advertised 19 gallon tank and that seemed accurate -- e.g. when the low fuel light comes on, it took about 16 gallons. If I run it really low, I'll put in close to 18 gallons.

The LR4 advertises 22.8 gallon tank, but when the low fuel light comes on, I can only fill up around 17.5 gallons. So does this mean it can really only hold about 20.5 gallons?

LR probably underesimates the "range" so people don't run out of gas. I bet if you drove it until it says zero mile range you would probably be able to put close to 22 gallons in there. There is always a "reserve" even if it says zero miles. I will try this one day with a 5 gallon gas container in the car just in case....

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,
Thanks for all the replies!! With most replies it is obvious that I am getting the lower mpg that most people. I drive 80-90% on highways and getting 14mpg is just too low. I will taking it in tomorrow to see if they can diagnose the problem.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove my LR4 down to zero before. I could only get 18.1 in the tank when I filed it up.

Rob

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM