Parking Brake Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I was parking the rig tonight after doing some urban off road at the mall.. The parking brake mechanism sounds like a cat was being killed by a rusty winch. They, the dash light up the orange and the red parking brake lights along with a note to check the manual.

Like most electrical things, I turned the rig off, let it stand and tried to let the parking brake off and then on using the switch. Same nasty grinding, whirring, squelching noise.

Oh, and when I try to over ride it by driving, no luck. It just clamps down even harder. So, it's not drivable at the moment.

Any suggestions on what went wrong / how to make it drivable again?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Follow the directions in your owners manual per the emergency release of the epb. (pages 194 & 195 in mine) It is hidden under the rubber cubby opposite of the epb switch. Once released the parking brake light will continue to flash until re-engaged. You should be able to drive like normal and get to your local shop at this point. If you care to try and solve the problem your self you could try to readjust the parking brake shoes. There use to be a posting somewhere that had all of the literature for doing the brakes and how to do the epb although I can't seem to locate it right know...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I have done in the past when faced with this:

1. Turn the car off.
2. Let it sit until everything turned off (even dome lights).
3. Count to ten.
4. Turn the key to the start position and let the system check complete.
5. Fire it up.
6. Once on, turn off the EPB and that's it.

I have never tried to drive away with it in the faulted state. This doesn't fix it BTW, just gets you outta there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9