Piston tolerance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert, but that damage doesn't look like it came from bad timing unless the timing issue was dropping a socket into the cylinder and putting the head on after a 12 pack and a doobie. A machine shop or engine builder might have some better ideas. Maybe it is piston slap? I'm planning on a Tapa engine out of So Cal when my 5.0 V8 blows.

sdtim

Reaction score
There is only damage in one cylinder...the piston and sleeve are melted...the machine shop/engine builder said it was detonation.

The supercharger is fine. Had there been a catastrophic failure with the supercharger I can't imagine debris wouldn't have made its way into other cylinders. There was no evidence of any foreign object entering the engine (checked the oil pan, heads, etc.).

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Detonation is bad. I'd be checking your knock sensors to make sure they work fine and then do some WOT runs with the new sleeves and do some data logging. I just bought the GAP tool for my 5.0L V8 engine, but it probably doesn't do data logging. I don't remember seeing that feature. I'd record knock retar4d timing advance and a few others but only at WOT.

greiswig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you implying that this wouldn't happen? Please elaborate if you believe it was caused by something else. I'd love to hear other possibilities.
i’m just saying that a timing issue that causes detonation ordinarily would affect all cylinders. I’m not sure what might cause what we are seeing here, but I would check that injector to see what the spray pattern looks like. i’m not sure that could cause this issue either, but I have seen diesel engines where a strange spray pattern caused burning in one part of the cylinder.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4