Piston tolerance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdtim

Reaction score
2015 SCV6. Does this look like it's within factory tolerance?

IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4144.JPG

sdtim

Reaction score
I believe a timing issue caused detonation in the cylinder. It's now at the machine shop to be resleeved.
IMG_4320.JPG

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get a timing issue? Pretty sweet to pull the engine with the hood still on.

sdtim

Reaction score
Bad tensioners. I bought the car knowing it had a timing chain issue. I wasn't aware of the damaged cylinder. The seller forgot to mention that small detail. :mad:

Yeah, hood on, and didn't have to pull the radiator. As you can see, I took a lot of stuff off before I pulled it. At one point I hung the chains on two 2x4s, and shortened the boom for extra clearance. I was very happy that it came right out.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How’s do the rest of the engine internals look?

I’ve read a few posts here and there about timing chain issues but most of them are on the V8’s. Most of of us here change oil around 5000-7500 miles so I’m curious.

sdtim

Reaction score
How’s do the rest of the engine internals look?

I’ve read a few posts here and there about timing chain issues but most of them are on the V8’s. Most of of us here change oil around 5000-7500 miles so I’m curious.
The rest of the internals look great. It was just the one damaged cylinder and bad timing tensioners.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you implying that this wouldn't happen? Please elaborate if you believe it was caused by something else. I'd love to hear other possibilities.

On one cylinder only is kind of odd. Almost looks like a piece of metal made it’s way into that cylinder. How does the head look and how does the supercharger look? Maybe something catastrophic occurred in the supercharger and the remnants made their way into the cylinder.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99