Portable Air Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a portable air pump. Do you guys recommend anything?

I used to have a cheap one I bought at PepBoys but it died on me shortly after. I see some cheap ones on ebay less than $20 but I doubt it will last any longer.

My LR3 has 2nd battery set up so I can't mount an air pump in the engine compartment. Looking for something I can carry in my car when I go to beach.

Thanks in advance. - Brian

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really need to spend the bucks if you want to air down and re air after a trail run. Most of the cheap, under $100 pumps can take 10 minutes or more to air up one tire.
Might want to consider buying a CO2 bottle. With these, you can air up all 4 tires in the time it normally takes a pump to air up 1 tire.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 10lb CO2 tank I went thru Ultimate air. It was cheaper than others and has been awsome I have even been using it to trim out my house. I did a 50x32 addition 2 stories and after filling all 4 tires and a few other things around the house I still had enuf air to trim almost the whole addition. I love it. It is also handy I can go out to the shed with it to fill the wheel barrow or mower ect. I even take it down to the lake to fill the tube. It is approx like 540 gal of shop air and costs me 19 bucks to fill. A buddy who is a builder helping me with the house is so impressed he says when his compressor goes he it going to buy a tank instead.. but I reccomend getting the adjustable regulator. You can build one yourself for fairly cheap as well.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have a long enough chord to plug into the power outlet in the front of the LR3's cab?

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One easy way to tell how strong of a pump you are buying is if it has a cigarette lighter adapter or not. No compressor that meets our needs can be powered off the 15amp (i think) fuse that the cig lighter has. Therefore you have to connect it to the battery. It's plenty long to fill up all your tires and your friend's if they pull up close to you.

FYI I keep mine in the 2nd battery compartment. While I certainly could have mounted it, I find this more practical as I can grab it and take it with me in another vehicle or use it to help a vehicle that may not be able to get close enough to me for whatever reason.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great idea and a good accessory...thanks!

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, that MV-50 compressor for sale on Amazon is AKA MasterFlow Tsunami MF-1050 and I have seen it for sale at Costco and Pep Boys for anywhere between $50 and $70 in the past. I have one and it works well enough as stated, the built-in gauge and quick connects on each end of the inflator hose are not the greatest quality, and the whole thing gets very hot after several minutes of usage (I blew a few 30-amp fuses... make sure you keep plenty of spares in the bag.) I also wish the coiled hose was longer - the unit connects directly to your battery with alligator clips and you need to move it around the engine bay to reach the rear wheels without putting a major strain on the hose - but for 50/60 bucks I can't complain. :proud:

After hooking up the clips to the battery, turn on the engine. The inflator works twice as fast with a running engine.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99