Possible fix for steering wheel vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vliberman

Reaction score
ok, drove the car for aprx 350 miles over the last few days..... Issue is not completely resolved but situation is noticeably better..... Will stop by tire shop tomorrow to see if any other adjustments are possible.....

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read a thread that I started late last year. Sounds very similar to my situation, although I never felt it that bad

LR4 Brakes Sevice Bulletin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you guys aware that LR has a brake bulletin for the 2010/2011 LR4. I just took my 2010 LR4 to the dealership for a unrelated minor issue. The service manager asked me if I have felt my brakes "pulsating" which to be honest I did not. He took it for a ride and informed me that he did feel a 'slight" vibration. Yadda yadda yadda, the front brakes and rotors were replaced (11,000 miles). I guess the front rotors run out was above the recommended tolerances. Bogus? I am not sure, perhaps I got used to this condition, but I'm glad that my service department was on top of it.

Subman574

Reaction score
Interesting stuff....I have had my LR4 for exactly two weeks. Mine had been on the showroom floor a couple of months, and so on the first drive at highway speeds the steering wheel vibration was pretty bad. Tires were fairly well flat spotted from sitting so long, but after 10 miles or so it had resolved itself. No issues since (all 200 miles of it).

Borden

Reaction score
LR4 Steering Wheel Shimmy persists

Our 2010 LR4 has 42,000 miles. The steering wheel vibration is still there.
We had a warranty repair done last year for the steering and have replaced the original tires. First we replaced the tires with Continentals identical to what came on it and then with Toyos which the dealer recommended. The tires have been balanced, rotated and checked at least 3 times at the dealer and at an independent tire store. The car has been aligned and the brakes have been replaced with the rotors trued. Sometimes the vibration is barely noticeable but at highway speeds (60 - 75 mph) it is noticeable. Does anyone have any new ideas? We have not yet had any suspension parts replaced other than whatever was done in connection with the steering warranty repair. The local dealer has been fully cooperative but the issue remains. P.S. we had 2 prior Discovery models and a LR3 which rode as smooth as glass.

marijono

Reaction score
I just had our 2012 LR4 HSE Lux checked by our local dealer when I feel that the steering wheel was vibrating when braking (had just about 6100 miles in it). The dealer tightened up the steering rack (?) and so far it works...

Borden

Reaction score
LR4 Steering Wheel Vibration - follow up

very frustrating, trust me, i know!

Our 2010 LR4 with ~ 40,000 miles still has a steering wheel vibration but it is only when it is "cold" and only when the speed is 60+ mph. We live in Atlanta, so "cold" just means the first time the car is driven each day, even if the temperature is 80. The problem is not the Continental tires because we have swapped out for Toyos which are overall quieter and smoother but the Toyos did not elimate the vibration. As mentioned in an earlier post, we have had multiple balances, alignments and the sterring wheel warranty work. In fact the service manager took wheels from another LR4 and put them on our LR4 and the problem was still there.

We are going to see if we can get the dealer to get someone from the manufacturer involved. The dealer has been very cooperative, but we have spent a lot of time and money (swapping out new Continentals for Toyos and multiple trips to the dealer and independent tire stores) and need to get this resolved.

This post is to keep anyone interested informed and to ask for any updates from anyone whose LR4 has or had the same issue.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering column vibration when braking is very likely to be related to front brake/rotors defect that should be covered by the warranty

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem described at least in my case is not related to applying the brake

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99