Power rear hatch on 2013 LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do any of you know if the 2013 LR4 HSE comes with a power rear hatch? Our 2011 Discovery 4 HSE did not.

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RRS has the powered gate... Very nice option. But, because of the redesign, the sub in the gate has been known to rattle... Vibrate and isn't as good as the original.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I have another doubt: On the Discovery 4 I could enter without the key but had to lock & unlock the vehicle with the smart key button. Does the LR4 HSE unlock when in close proximity?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alex, sub is for subwoofer. Indeed, on the 2012+ RRS the new one-piece rear gate (the rear window no longer opens separately as in older Sports) is powered and, because it is powered, it is very light compared to earlier model years. The active subwoofer on models fitted with Logic7 is still housed in it however, and it is reported to perform very poorly, must be a combination of the redesigned liftgate and - perhaps - a lighter duty subwoofer used. No such issues on the LR4, since our 2-piece gate never slimmed down or got power anything. :wink: I don't miss the powered gate, it's for short people and old ladies, and the Sport's is kind of funky in the way it operates as well (you can't close it remotely, you can only open it.)

On my 2013, doors unlock with the fob in proximity, just touch the handle on any of the four doors and it will unlock as you pull it open. The rear gate will unlock and open up as well (the 4 doors stay locked) if you push the button above the license plate with the fob in your pocket.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually glad the LR4 does not have a power rear hatch. I know my rear hatch was quite heavy when I first took delivery last month, but it's starting to become a bit easier with use. I often grab the bottom of my ladder to shut the hatch.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the sub in the gate?
Sorry, the subwoofer. The pre-auto gate had a more robust sub and it is more solid. The sub that's thrown into the electric, because of space, reconfiguration, is sub-par to some. I think it's fine... But others have complained.

Since you're now a RRS owner, you should join www.rangerovers.net

Lots of great info over there.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alex, sub is for subwoofer. Indeed, on the 2012+ RRS the new one-piece rear gate (the rear window no longer opens separately as in older Sports) is powered and, because it is powered, it is very light compared to earlier model years. The active subwoofer on models fitted with Logic7 is still housed in it however, and it is reported to perform very poorly, must be a combination of the redesigned liftgate and - perhaps - a lighter duty subwoofer used. No such issues on the LR4, since our 2-piece gate never slimmed down or got power anything. :wink: I don't miss the powered gate, it's for short people and old ladies, and the Sport's is kind of funky in the way it operates as well (you can't close it remotely, you can only open it.)

On my 2013, doors unlock with the fob in proximity, just touch the handle on any of the four doors and it will unlock as you pull it open. The rear gate will unlock and open up as well (the 4 doors stay locked) if you push the button above the license plate with the fob in your pocket.
I don't agree that the powered gate is for short people... And old ladies. I might not be 6 feet tall... but I love approaching my sport from afar with my kid in my arms and carrying his crap from pre-school and just pressing the key fob and Viola, gate opens right up in a smooth, modern form and is ready to throw the kid and his crap in the boot.

Last edited:

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love that the RRS will have the power lift gate. I'd have expected it to close too :frown:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM