Problems with non-standard mp3 rates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

mwroobel

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with MP3's at non-standard rates (eg 224, etc) instead of the 128, 160, 192 that people usually use. The problem manifests itself by the song not audibly playing, and if you look at the display on the radio you just see it as if it was fast forwarding at about 5x normal time. Anyone else having this?
-Michael

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you are interested, but there are many tools to do fast re-conversion of your mp3's to a chosen bit rate. The one that I use most often for fast, bulk conversion is Alive MP3 WAV Converter (http://www.alivemedia.net).

M

mwroobel

The whole point is I don't want to reencode anything, and transcoding will introduce even more errors into the music. I rip most of my stuff at 192, but the finer music, especially classical I do at 224 or 320.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I CAN'T believe the system doesn't show ID info!

I mean it's 2005...

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, re-encoding lossy audio is a bad idea for sound quality. Always re-rip from the CD unless you ripped Losslessly originally.

I don't think I've had any trouble with high bitrates on the LR3 -- though I personally haven't used the feature as much as I wanted, probably due to the total lack of ID capability. (Send LR your feedback, folks!) The one problem I had was due to a bad CD-R burn.

I regularly use high variable bitrates up to 320Kbps (LAME normally), and 320Kbps constant (LAME or FhG) when I'm forced to use MP3. But I'm not sure I tested everything on the LR3.

It's possible a specific MP3 encoder might cause issues with the head unit. I'll try to see if I can do a "real" test one of these days.

M

mwillems

askewed said:

I mean it's 2005...

I came from a Mercedes ML500, where I spent two years trying in vain to explain to the dealer and to Mercedes-Benz what MP3 *was*!!

F

Freeflytim

askewed said:

I mean it's 2005...

Just be glad that it DOES play MP3s, but, Im ready to SCREAM because of no MP3 tags!!

Does anyone know if this is something that might be able to be corrected with a MOST software update?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's also missing CD Text support (tags for normal Audio CDs.) Send feedback to LR (the more people, the better) -- there is always a tiny, tiny chance it could be added with a head unit firmware update. (Regretably, feature additions are rare -- only bugs are generally worked.)

At the very least, it could get put on the target for a future model year. What was LR/Alpine thinking?! It's not like we can replace the head unit if we want more features!

F

Freeflytim

Uh, didn't I just say this in the above post!!! :)

grommet said:
It's also missing CD Text support (tags for normal Audio CDs.) Send feedback to LR (the more people, the better) -- there is always a tiny, tiny chance it could be added with a head unit firmware update. (Regretably, feature additions are rare -- only bugs are generally worked.)

At the very least, it could get put on the target for a future model year. What was LR/Alpine thinking?! It's not like we can replace the head unit if we want more features!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM