Questions about 2013 vs. 2010 differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trading in a 2010 Lux for a 2013 Lux and have some questions.

- Does the 13 allow the input of NAV destinations while moving? The 2010 does not.

- Does the digital mph display in the TFT screen above the steering wheel? On the 2010 the digital display of speed only works when the kmh setting is selected.

- What else is displayed on the TFT screen? Next turn? Song from the iPod? The TFT screen is not used for much on the 2010.

- Do the front door speakers buzz when playing bass-heavy music? I've thought that the 2010 should've had more insulation around the door speakers.

- How does the sound quality of bluetooth audio compare with using a line connection?

Thanks.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- Yes, since MY2011 you can use navigation on the move after pressing the annoying "Agree" button. The "Say What You See" voice command system also works surprisingly well to enter an address, although it does take a long time to tell the lady where you want to go... However, for the first time in a Land Rover I can actually enter a destination 100% by voice.

- Still no MPH speed display on the TFT screen by default, only km/h. MPH display can be turned on via diagnostics (not by a a dealer, of course, but an indy shop could do it...), I enabled that feature with IIDTool in 10 seconds flat. It's pretty cool, but to be honest you still pay more attention to the analog gauge than the digital speedo.

- TFT display shows the upcoming turn arrows and street name with a "hourglass" distance gauge when turn-by-turn directions are active on the satnav - not super detailed, but better than nothing. Otherwise, the display shows song title and track number from a connected iPod, radio station name and frequency, satellite radio name and channel number (stupid... It takes 3 lines to tell me what Sirius channel I am listening to, for example:

Sat Radio
The Pulse
Ch. 28

... How about using a line for song title or at least artist name?)

- My front speakers don't buzz... But I don't listen to extremely bass heavy music much. I think the Logic7 audio system sounds pretty great actually, as long as the source is good quality. Multi-channel music and soundtracks in DTS or DD5.1 from the RSES - if your LR4 is so equipped - are the best and make the Logic7 surround system really shine. CD, virtual CD changer, and HD FM radio are second best (but I prefer to turn Logic7 off for all stereo sources.) Then MP3s on your portable device - depending on compression of course - and/or Bluetooth streaming, about the same. Then AM and FM radio (non-HD.) Sirius is the worst, by far. On my 2006 Sport, stuffing the door pockets with something heavy (like the Owner Manual folder, lol) helped alleviating occasional buzzing or vibrations from the door speakers.

- Bluetooth audio streaming sounds pretty good to my ears, about as good as the MP3s on my iPod (reminder: If the iPod is connected, BT streaming doesn't work.) After reading some of the comments online, I expected far worse, actually. Only problem is, there is occasional stuttering or pausing, like the connection is lost for a split second then quickly reacquired. May be handset dependent, though. One cool and unexpected thing is that, if you are streaming Pandora or internet radio stations (I am a big fan of Radio Paradise myself), titles and artists are displayed on the touchscreen as well.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umberto,

Your responses were very helpful - thanks for taking the time. I'm going to investigate the IID tool further, as I think it would be nice to have the digital mph display.

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more question please:

Has anyone compared the difference in sound quality between the 480w Harman Kardon Logic7 system on the 2010 vs. the 825w Harman Kardon Logic7 system on the 2013 Lux?

land230

Reaction score
Have you heard the 2013 1700 watt 29 speaker 3 d surround sound system in the all new range rover. It's Amazing. And cost a little more

jtharmon

Reaction score
the 2013 does give you the next turn on the dash screen and the radio unlike the older, the 2011 did start the "on the fly" navigation input

The 2013 also allows you to link to your ipad, iphone, etc via bluetooth, no more cords, but does have a regular usb cord to charge if needed. the 2011 comes standard on the HSE (not sur what its called) with the button on handle to lock and unlock the car with key in purse or pocket, very nice

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
- Bluetooth audio streaming sounds pretty good to my ears, about as good as the MP3s on my iPod (reminder: If the iPod is connected, BT streaming doesn't work.) After reading some of the comments online, I expected far worse, actually. Only problem is, there is occasional stuttering or pausing, like the connection is lost for a split second then quickly reacquired. May be handset dependent, though. One cool and unexpected thing is that, if you are streaming Pandora or internet radio stations (I am a big fan of Radio Paradise myself), titles and artists are displayed on the touchscreen as well.[/QUOTE]

umbertob or others,

I just picked up my 2013 and I'm still fiddling with the upgraded from 2010 audio system. I kept an iPod in my 2010 but it seems like a pain to switch back and forth from steaming from my iPhone (mainly for podcasts and Pandora) to my iPod - pluggiing the usb cable in and out. Did you end up just using one out of a wired or bluetooth source, but not both out of convenience?

I was also pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of bluetooth streaming, as I expected it to be worse in comparison to a wired connection.

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't "stream" much, 99% of the times I listen to the music library in my hardwired, trusty iPod Classic permanently residing under the armrest lid of the LR4. It is a bit of a pain to disconnect it when I want to stream something from my Android phone via BT, but that doesn't happen very often for me. Overall, I'm happy with my setup. :proud: I am sure that enhancements of the infotainment system in future model years will include separate inputs for Bluetooth and iPod/USB audio, so we won't have to choose which one we want to listen to.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I always wanted to ask... Do 2010-2012s have this junction view (indicating which and how many lanes you may travel on when approaching a freeway or highway interchange)? It's not fancy like a Garmin, but I find the lane info very useful - and very accurate - when you approach certain complicated interchanges with 8 or 9 lanes funneling into 2 or 3 different highways.

Satnavdisplay.jpg

horatio8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've already seen one change from 2010 to 2013 with the Sat Radio that I'm very unhappy with - unless I'm doing it wrong. On my 2010 I could use the steering wheel controls to tab through all of 18 of my channel presets continuously from one page to the next. On the 2013 it seems to only tab through the six presets of a particular page. Do I really have to touch the Sat Radio touch screen button, select the next Sat "band" to get through the next six presets? This is a huge inconvenience, unless I'm missing a setting somewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99