Range Rover Getting V6 Supercharged - LR Dropping V8s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what are your thoughts on this? Does that mean 2014 LR4s will also get the V6? I can't believe they're dropping the V8s... I can understand having a choice of motors... but to rid the V8s in favor for V6s is disappointing. If I don't care about gas prices and mileage, met me order or buy one off the lot with a V8 option. If I do care about mileage and my foot print on the world, then let me buy or order the V6. Give us the option... please. :-(

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will it be the diesel V6?

Nope, a petrol V6 supercharged. It's about 20% less hp and torque. But, it gets very good mileage. My assumption is that if LR is dropping the V8 (non-supercharged) for the V6 MY then it could find itself into the 2014 LR4. I think trying to market a Range Rover with a V6 diesel wouldn't attract buyers... BUT, if the LR4 has the diesel I'd get it in a second. Not sure what's going on at Land Rover but I smell Tata micro-management all over the place. I just can't see spending 90K on a Range Rover with a V6... period. I understand regulations, but that's what the Evoque is for.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...percharged-v6-and-v8-engines-in-us-55406.html

The 2014 Range Rover is now available for order in the US with a choice of two supercharged engines, with deliveries set to begin this summer.

The all-new Range Rover can be ordered starting today with a new and more efficient turbocharged 3-liter V6 engine, delivering 340 HP, as well as the already popular supercharged 5-liter V8, with an exhilarating output of 510 HP. A new Intelligent Stop/Start System is said to reduce idling and emissions on the V8.

Both engines will be mounted to a eight-speed ZF 8HP70 gearbox, meaning that the V6-powered version will be able to accelerate from 0 to 60 mph in 7.1 seconds.

Land Rover hopes to further build on the sales success of the 2013 version, which is sold out in US dealerships until summer

Last edited:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This somewhat questions the price for the Range Rover HSE as well... you can get one now with a V8 for 85K (base) but in a few months you get a down-market V6 and I am sure the price won't be reduced, even though it should be. Bah!

Last edited:

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I heard it in Motorweek about a couple of years ago, that despite the diesel being their best seller world-wide, in the US there are still issues with emissions. If I recall correctly still will have to clear CA and CT regulations. I asked a colleague about diesel emissions in the US and these are tougher that Europe (!) and unless it can pass all 50 states we will have to wait (bummer!)

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The power difference is actually about 10%, but I too think this is a terrible decision. The drop in power is going to be even worse on the LR4, because it is still full fat... I felt the current n/a V8 was about the minimum for that weight. The new RR is quite peppy with the n/a V8 motor, almost negating the need for the s/c motor. In addition, the base and HSE RR's will also get smaller front brakes (the current ones are the same as the RR s/c).

I'm glad I got one of the '13 V8 RR HSE's, although I may still upgrade to the S/C in a year or two... Maybe my resale/trade in will be higher on the V8 HSE... :biggrin:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure they won't introduce a V6 for the LR4 until / unless our platform goes through the same extensive redesign and slimming down of the new 2013 Range Rover and upcoming 2014 Range Rover Sport... Those two vehicles have lost 800+ lbs in weight, so a more fuel efficient V6 makes a lot more sense as the base engine (plus, the big 500+ hp Supercharged V8 will still be available as an option for both RR and RRS in 2014.) Until that time, I don't think we have anything to worry about. The current LR4 is just too bloated and heavy for a weaker V6.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, regardless of power output, you cannot beat the sound of a V8. Even the older Disco II with its V8, although not a powerhouse, was a sweet engine and exhaust note and it always made you feel a little "more" special. A V6 isn't special by any means, regardless. I wouldn't pay 85K for a V6 Range Rover... NO WAY. Or a loaded HSE for 100K plus... V6? Laughable. If Mercedes can offer a GL450 and 550 w/V8, which is produced in numbers much, much higher than RR, and in the same price range, why can't Land Rover? I don't buy the BS V6 excuses... sorry.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM