Rattle going over manhole covers and potholes - Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

victor73

Reaction score
Hello All.

I recently purchased a 2011 LR4 HSE with Lux package with 20inch wheels.

I would like to know if anyone with a third row seat is experiencing a rattle noise from the rear of the vehicle.

I have taken my LR4 to the dealer, technician acknowledged it but they returned the vehicle by saying that this can not be fixed as this is by design. In other words that when the seats are not in use they should be folded down as the third row seating is not designed as solid as first or second row Nd if the seats are in upright pposition they must be occupied.

On my way home back from the dealership I started hearing the noise again when going over manhole covers on the road - seats were folded into the floor.

I have tried both ways with the seats in upright position (unoccupied) and folded down and it is the same kind of noise but I can not pinpoint if it is definately from the the third row but it is definately from the rear of the vehicle.

Please share your experience in regards to this situation. When you go over manhole covers do you hear a solid thud sound or a rattle?

Thanks,
Victor

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I've never experienced that sound... then again, I have a 10" JL audio W3 sub wedge box back there. Even when it's silent, I only hear leather from my slight movements.

cypress822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No such sound from mine. If dealer says its by design, then ask to take a new car for a test drive to reproduce the problem---simple way to turn the tables on the dealer and to make it THEIR responsibility.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you have anything in either of the rear storage compartments by the third row seat

victor73

Reaction score
Hello suvowner,

No I do not have anything in the stoage compartments by the third row. I have even taken the car jack out and have been driving without it but it still makes noise when I go over potholes or manhole covers. I have scheduled another appointment next week to bring the vehicle in and also asking them as CYPRESS882 suggested to take another lr4 for a test drive and see if that also makes similar noise...

I hope mechanic can fix this issue for me, it is very annoying.

Thanks all your help.

BAK

Reaction score
Hello suvowner,

Did you ever get any resolution on this noise problem? I have a new LR4 with the Lux package and have a similar problem. In my case, I only hear a "clunk" when going over the first speed bump a in parking lot. What ever is making the noise seems to settle down then, as I don't hear the noise again during that trip. Once the car is parked for awhile (several hours) the noise re-emerges.
:confused:

Rebel17

Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't heard anything like that on my LR4. Granted, I normally have a set of golf clubs in the back, along with the cover closed.

Oddly enough, I never hear my golf clubs rattling, and I used to hear them all the time in my old Explorer.

victor73

Reaction score
Hello Bak,

Following three areas are where the dealer had to apply the fixes in order to solve the noise issue(s):

1. Passenger side dash needed to be pulled out twice and reseat.
2. Glove box hinge needed to be greased and put a foam padding.
3. Fastner needed to be tightened in the second row seating.

P.S. There is still bit of noise which comes from the rear third row seat especially if the seats are flattened, the dealer says that is normal due to the design of the third row seating as third row seat is not as rigid as second row. I have test driven another 2011 LR4 and it does the same so I am accepting the answer. If the seats are flattened into the floor and you have heavy stuff seating on it the noise disappears. Personally I am still not satisfied by the answer as I expect the vehicle to be all rattle and noise free when you pay close to 90K CDN.

rattlee

Reaction score
Except for my user name there is NO rattle at my end.
There's definitely something wrong!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM