Raw Gas Smell while offroading Moab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before I start down the road of complaining to the forum of my gas smell issue I have to say one thing. The Queen's Chariot was MADE for Moab! Just got back from 3 days in Moab I have to say the Rock Crawl Setting and fantastic Wheel articulation made my buddy with his Rubicon drop his jaw in amazement! Our Rovers Rock!

She handled Fins-N-Things, Hell's Revenge and 7 Mile Rim with no drama, slippage or issues. Just a little bumper rash which is normal for the trails. I did not think a vehicle (or myself) could climb an almost vertical wall and survive!

Now on to my little issue.

Each day while on the trails off roving my LR3 would emit a raw gas smell for about 30 minutes then disappear. Now this would happen between 3 - 4pm daily. No visable gas dripping just a smell.

I checked the gas cap and it was tight and not leaking. I am thinking maybe the evaporator canister or filler tube into the tank is the issue.

Anyone else have this issue and a possible resolution?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of this before so I'm sure someone on this forum can help you.

...but, how 'bout some Moab pics!?!?! Please.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Nathan had posted something about that . . .

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have experienced this as well. Thinking it has something to do getting the truck into
extreme angles but I could be mistaken.

Trynian

Reaction score
Several of us off roaders in our Southern Cal club have experienced this on the trail. If there was a leak you should get a gas cap loose warning because the tank is pressurized. Seems to happen mostly late on warm days when the gas level is a little lower in the tank.

My only guess is that there must be some sort of pressure release valve/vent when the pressure builds up from warmer air expanding and jostling gas around in the tank on the trail allows some gas vapors to get released also.

So far it has not caused any issues so I have not bothered with it.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several of us off roaders in our Southern Cal club have experienced this on the trail. If there was a leak you should get a gas cap loose warning because the tank is pressurized. Seems to happen mostly late on warm days when the gas level is a little lower in the tank.

My only guess is that there must be some sort of pressure release valve/vent when the pressure builds up from warmer air expanding and jostling gas around in the tank on the trail allows some gas vapors to get released also.

So far it has not caused any issues so I have not bothered with it.

So maybe this is a "Feature" I don't like the "feature" but it is not spilling gas on the ground or causing any real issue. I do have to take the Landy in for her 60k service so will have them look at it. Glad to see i am not the only one !

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of this before so I'm sure someone on this forum can help you.

...but, how 'bout some Moab pics!?!?! Please.

Pic's are coming soon! Just need to publish them then I will post a link.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happened to mine when it was new and it was the seal at the top of the gas tank. I used to smell the vapors strong in my garage after a fillup, but I'd imagine extreme driving angles could do the same thing.

There was no visible gas leak outside the truck but the smell was strong. They looked at it a couple times and I eventually convinced them that it was not me overfilling the tank (!) and when they dropped my gas tank they saw the gas residue on the top of the tank and realized it was some seal on top. There were lots of talks about the new evaporator design on the LR3 at that time, something about it having to be pumped back into the tank or something...but in the end, it was simple for them to fix under warranty.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Toddjb122! I will have the dealer check the top seal next week when I take it in for service!

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell's Revenge!

Slick Rock on Hell's Revenge

Follow the little black road!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members