Reading/map lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here is the situation: my wife loves to read. Reading in the LR4 is not an issue for her. For me it is a problem. The reading/map lights up front spill so much light into the cabin that the auto hi-beams won't even activate as the sensor sees too much ambiant light. It also doesn't do a good job of directional task lighting. When she has her light on, it will make it hard to see out the windshield. seeing on-coming traffic is not an issue, but when there is no other light source outside the truck, I find it hard to see the sides of the road. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Anyone come up with an in-car solution?

I thought about a bulb swap for her reading/map light. Maybe something like a replacement LED would be better at directing the light. I have also thought about a small book light for her to use. Any other suggestions? I am really looking for something to mod the truck itself so the issue is addressed once and for all.

Thanks,

Rob

Disco4Me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Here is the situation: my wife loves to read. Reading in the LR4 is not an issue for her. For me it is a problem. The reading/map lights up front spill so much light into the cabin that the auto hi-beams won't even activate as the sensor sees too much ambiant light. It also doesn't do a good job of directional task lighting. When she has her light on, it will make it hard to see out the windshield. seeing on-coming traffic is not an issue, but when there is no other light source outside the truck, I find it hard to see the sides of the road. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Anyone come up with an in-car solution?

I thought about a bulb swap for her reading/map light. Maybe something like a replacement LED would be better at directing the light. I have also thought about a small book light for her to use. Any other suggestions? I am really looking for something to mod the truck itself so the issue is addressed once and for all.

Thanks,

Rob

http://www.bputah.com has an Osram Sylvania Map Light for Land Rover that might just do the job for you.

Last edited:

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks,

Rob

dont get interior leds. they are good for looks, but not good for looking. the light just isnt warm enough and makes it harder to read. i swapped all the interior lights to bright leds in my other car. interior is completely white, looks nice but feels cold. i would suggest getting her a reading light so it's not as distracting as turning on the map light.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
use the light from the visor mirror.........or get her an ipad and problem solved....

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys! I thought about swapping to LEds, but I will stay away from them until they can get a warmer tint.

We have a Galaxy tablet and an ipad already, soon we will have a Motorola Xoom. Lucky for me, she gets all the cool gadgets from work, (Verizon). She actually prefers to pick up used books at garage sales and hit the public library.

I'm going to start looking for a descent reading light for her. I never thought about the visor lights, but I'm curious to see if they are too dim.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM