Rear Middle Seat Rattle Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhigham

Reaction score
Ok Mystery rattle on the LR3 85K mi.

Its the rear middle seat. The non lifting/folding one. It seems the rattle is near the back attachment joint on the passenger side. Sounds like someone is lifting and dropping a small bar when I go over a bump. Had one of my kids sit in the middle seat tonight and the rattle goes away.

Any thoughts on how to remedy? There does not seem to be any adjustment points.

Will upload a photo of the area when I get a chance.

Thanks

Robert

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it occur when the seat is folded down and pushed flat?

Just for fun (you may have already checked this), fold down the seat and make sure there isn't anything rolling around in the footwell behind the middle row. I've had things fall back there and I also occasionally store things back there and forget about them. (it's where I keep the center seat head rest which I remove so it doesn't block my rear view).

If there is nothng back there, maybe consider putting something back there so when someone hears the noise you can just go, "oh, that's just my bocce ball set rolling around in the foot well." :biggrin:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha... Rattles in 2nd row sets have always been annoying. It sounds like maybe the seat isn't locked in all the way or something. As suggested, maybe fold it flat, inspect under it, then use the front strap to release it, lower it, and then release it and snap it back into place, and see if it makes a difference.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My back seat mystery rattle was coming from the fold-down release latch. It's the latch on top of the seat, next to the head rest. Took me a while to figure it out. It was the tiny piece with the red square on the side and white arrow on the back.

If that is the issue - go to Walmart's sewing department and buy a sheet of black fabric with label adhesive on the back. Pull the release handle off - it pulls up the exact direction the arrow is pointing. Cut tiny squares of fabric and stick them to the sides of the tiny plastic "feet" that ride inside the plastic guides of the part that is on the seat. That should fix it.

Some people complain of a squeak coming from where the side folding seats contact the stationary middle seat. The adhesive fabric works good here as well. Just stick some to the sides of each seatback.

rhigham

Reaction score
A picture might help a bit

So tried all those suggestions. The middle seat when the back is folded down decreases it a bit. Probably due to the weight on the bottom part of the seat. The attached picture seems to be the area where the rattle/clicking is coming from. Since this seat only lowers and does not fold up I am open to suggestions? No removable parts of the hinge that I can see. Should I just stick a nylon wedge in the area to see what happens?

Thanks for the thoughts

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    692.4 KB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members