Rear Winch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CompassRT

Reaction score

That's the style I was interested in getting. My question is related to whether anyone has experience/knowledge using such a winch setup with the LR4's OEM rear hitch receiver. I wonder if there would be any issue as it's not a direct-to-frame hitch connection, but rather this odd workaround receiver that LR came up with and that I have.

81oP94ZTl-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Could you give us a location of the source for this setup - I myself would like to do this to

Lucky8 is a distributor for Terrafirma and you can get the Terrafirma hidden winch mount and 12k Terrafirma synthetic winch from them.

Here's what I did. https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/terrafirma-hidden-winch-install.29560/

That's the style I was interested in getting. My question is related to whether anyone has experience/knowledge using such a winch setup with the LR4's OEM rear hitch receiver. I wonder if there would be any issue as it's not a direct-to-frame hitch connection, but rather this odd workaround receiver that LR came up with and that I have.

I've been yanked from the oem long gooseneck hitch plenty of times without fail. That's lots of dynamic kinetic energy. A winch is more slow constant static energy pull and you should be more than fine.

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
I installed a discreet winch behind my front bumper. I did it all at home myself and I’m certainly no mechanic.
I bought the winch and mount off the shelf and just had to cut the bumper myself with a dremmell.

View attachment 12053

View attachment 12054

View attachment 12055
So how long did it take and do you have more details to share? Winch model, mount used, any instructions that would be helpful, things you would have done differently?

defiant

Reaction score
So how long did it take and do you have more details to share? Winch model, mount used, any instructions that would be helpful, things you would have done differently?

posted

Dec 21, 2020 at 11:14 AM#10

defiantMember

Could you give us a location of the source for this setup - I myself would like to do this to my LR3

sure.
I got the Terrafirma winch mount from Lk8 in NY. (Hope your experience is better than mine was). I’m pretty sure Terrafirma 4x4 have other stockists though.
The winch I found at 4wheelparts.
My battery isolation was from Amazon. There’s lots available, pick whichever suits your needs.
I’d recommend a small tool like a dremmell for the bumper cutting. Get lots of blades for it to, because it took a lot of cutting to get the backing trimmed to a good fit, although the hole in the bumper itself was quick and easy.

Someone already asked this question on previous page and I answered.

djkaosone
Posted a fantastic blog of his install and he added a link on page 1. My winch is a smittybilt but im 99% sure any brand will work with the Terrafirma discrete mount. The install took me all day, that was probably due to that fact im defiantly not a mechanic or an electrician but I'm very happy with the results I achieved.
As for the things done differently, I think I would have changed my fairlead to a nicer black one, but that's just aesthetics. If I had more skills, I may have wired up everything into the cabin. Currently if I want to use it, I pop the hood to flip the isolation switch, pull the control into the cabin and begin working it. Having it on a switch and extending the controls so its always in the cabin might have been a nice touch, but its certainly not needed, as you'll probably be out of the cabin to set up the line anyway.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72