Repeatable Vibration Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will check again today. Install was pretty easy so I'm not sure how they could get damaged to be honest. I did buy them off of eBay, but they arrived in the timken box and looked high quality.
The rotation was tight and smooth too.

I may just pull both the front bearings and bench test them while I'm at it.

Haha this truck is beating me down! It seems like I will be replacing the thermostat and ignition switch as well--for unrelated issues.

On a happy note, my traxide dual battery kit just arrived.

i second this.

i know you sad you already replaced them...but is there a chance they were damaged during install? or bad to begin with?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm an idiot.

First, I want to apologize to those that wasted brain power helping me diagnose the helicopter noise. I am very thankful of how this forum's familial underpinnings causes us to rally against the plight of those in trouble.

Second, I wanted to reward you with my stupidity. It was the driver side lug nuts. I must have overloaded the tire when I torqued them to spec. They were quite loose... Hence, the wheel bearing symptoms. Nope, not a wheel bearing...just my carelessness.

I put the tuffants back on. My original vibration is still there, but the helicopter sound has disappeared. I made sure this time to only allow the wheels to kiss the pavement, to prevent tire rotation, as i dutifully checked, rechecked, and triple checked the proper torquing of the lugnuts.

I am going to ignore the original vibration for now. The rabbit hole has been frustrating and I'm sure one of the original responses was correct: it's the tires. I will upgrade my terrain beasts for Ko2s on the next go-around.

Thank you again for all of the responses and patience with my frantic, self-imposed emergency lol.

1Diana

Reaction score
Did the rotors and or the hub mounting surfaces get out of whack upon removal? I would check the hub and rotor run-out while mounted. First check the runout of the hub and if it looks good mount the rotor and check the run out again. I assume the hub and rotor mounting surfaces were cleaned before reassembly?
I was getting a vibration before I changed the breaks and roters. It went away after. I have read that the go through a lot of roters. Maybe that’s why you don’t get it during acceleration?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR4 is currently mostly driven by my wife and daughter. Sometimes I get horrible shake through the steering wheel upon light braking. I find a series of very hard hot braking applications cures it. Something with pad material or what not. It isn't driven hard enough by the ladies.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ktm525, you driving on salted roads? Salty brine residue dried on the rotors?
Metallic pads plus rotor rust haze plus cold morning moisture causing brake shudder until heat built up from braking before back to normal braking action.
Remove wheels, lock in first gear at idle and carefully sand the rotor surfaces with
120 grit sandpaper wrapped around a thin piece of wood. I would do the fronts first and test ride results before doing rears unless needed. Wood is especially handy when sanding the inboard and outboard rotor surfaces as your fingers come in handy later not being mangled.
.....~~=o&o>.....

LVDaytripper

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents but in regards to the vibration, what size rim are you using? I had 20's running on HT's on my LR3 and had similar symptoms so when I was having my tires rotated, shop manager showed me both my wheels were out of round possible from hitting potholes that caused the vibration at speeds beyond 30 mph. I switched to my 18's with AT's and vibration gone. Less sidewall on my HTs doesn't protect wheels on streets in LV.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents but in regards to the vibration, what size rim are you using? I had 20's running on HT's on my LR3 and had similar symptoms so when I was having my tires rotated, shop manager showed me both my wheels were out of round possible from hitting potholes that caused the vibration at speeds beyond 30 mph. I switched to my 18's with AT's and vibration gone. Less sidewall on my HTs doesn't protect wheels on streets in LV.

Out of round egg shaped with flat spot rims or just an orbit or eccentric off the hubcentric mounting lip? Potholes in the desert streets of LV tnhat big? Surprised me along with flash floods hitting the desert......~~=o&o>......

LVDaytripper

Reaction score
Out of round egg shaped with flat spot rims or just an orbit or eccentric off the hubcentric mounting lip? Potholes in the desert streets of LV tnhat big? Surprised me along with flash floods hitting the desert......~~=o&o>......

Combination of potholes, bad road patch jobs and back roads driving, 20's ended up with flat spots which are not visibly noticeable until you put it on a balancing machine or look closely on the inside rim. When we do get rain, desert surface is so dry that it just lets water flow through without absorbing it then end up on roadways since drainage cannot keep up therefore eroding the road surface leading to potholes and bad road patch job.

LVDaytripper

Reaction score

Combination of potholes, bad road patch jobs and back roads driving, 20's ended up with flat spots which are not visibly noticeable until you put it on a balancing machine or look closely on the inside rim. When we do get rain, desert surface is so dry that it just lets water flow through without absorbing it then end up on roadways since drainage cannot keep up therefore eroding the road surface leading to potholes and bad road patch job.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA