Replacement engine options for 2001 discovery II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

monomania

Reaction score
Well it's official my disco has a crack in the small block. This is the second disco with the bosch engine that has gone kaput in the last few years. I'm not sure why I even like these things anymore.

I am thinking about swapping it out with a new engine and wanted to know what options I have. Are the GEMS engines any better or do they run hot and liner slip also?

I have been looking at some reconditioned TDI engines like 200 or 300 possibly a TD5 but it looks like there is a lot involved in these swap outs. Does anyone have any experience with doing one of these replacements. Seems like these are hard to find.

One other option I am going to throw out there is… I have a 4.2 V8 engine from a 1995 LWB classic that I have access to, will that fit in there?

Holy crapper there are a lot of threads similar to mine and so much conflicting info.

So what does the forum think about these options? what would you do?

Last edited:

monomania

Reaction score
Ok so I'm researching these engine options and the 200 & 300 TDI's aren't going to cut it.
Im not rigging my ECU or going with out tach and dash functions ect…

Even the TD5 seems like a lot of work but from what I have gathered, I would at least be able to keep ECU functions and have OEM parts. I haven't been able to locate one of these online.

So i'm hoping the 4.2 V8 engine from a RRC LWB 1995 will work because I have a donor vehicle. Anyone have experience with this.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know your engine is cracked, what tests were done to verify this. Even the 4.2, which was a great engine for Rover will be a huge challenge.
You will better off buying a well built top hat engine and never look back.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM