Review of Continental TerrainContact A/T

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I called Todd at Snowmaster and he explained it as well. He also said he now includes a template to help cut the cover. I ordered the hitch and if I have any issues I'll let you know. Thanks for posting the info, this will be much better than the OEM hitch

Todd T is great and my fault for not remembering that there was a template. I may have modified my cuts a little for personal taste and tolerances. I think you'll really like the Rhino and I look forward to some photos.

thebigtruck

Reaction score
I've got about 25k on the Contis and have been somewhat disappointed. The sidewall on these seem pretty weak. I've got a chunk out of one tire in the sidewall, slicing off the top layer or two of the tire (quite notable that it stayed inflated), and on another I destroyed a tire parking (too close to the curb). Yes, completely driver error but I can't help but wonder if I brushed a rock on the trail how much the sidewall would hold up.

I run on the beach and found that airing down considerably to single digits, I still had a hard time in deep sand.

TrungH

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. I'm on the Cooper Zeons atm (came with them when I bought my LR4) but I'm trying to decide if it's worth that pretty substantial premium to keep them on my next change or go to the TerrainContacts or possibly the Yokohama Geolandar G015.

99% of my driving is on road, with the remainder being dirt roads and light snow. Anyone have any input on which of the three will give me the most comfortable ride while still being mildly capable?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep them on my next change or go to the TerrainContacts or possibly the Yokohama Geolandar G015

The Conti and the Yoko sure seem to be designed for the same audience...people with the driving profile that you described. All things being equal in terms of performance, the Yoko to me looks just a little bit more aggressive but that's subjective.

FWIW, this past weekend I put over 800 miles on my fairly new Conti's. I took some detours to explore some fire trails that had steep, loose surfaces. I was on these in both dry and sloppy rainy conditions and I never worried about traction or sidewall strength (granted I wasn't rock crawling). The drive home was rain almost the entire way with lots of puddling on the interstate. I almost felt bad for the people behind me because the Conti's were putting up a huge cloud of mist off the back of the LR4. These tires tracked 100% solid in the rain at speeds of 70+ mph.

Based on reviews on the forum, I have to believe that the Coopers will give the chunkiest and loudest ride on paved roads. I don't think you can go wrong with either the Conti's or the Yoko's for your use case.

Xplorer

Reaction score
Finally changed out the OEM 19s with the Conti Contacts to the Compos and BFG KO2s 265/65R18s. Waited for a while to do this because of the substantial cost involved.

For the benefit of anyone considering this.. do it.

Am amazed at how much better the ride has gotten.. wish I had done it sooner.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E-rated or the regular SL/XL ?

Finally changed out the OEM 19s with the Conti Contacts to the Compos and BFG KO2s 265/65R18s. Waited for a while to do this because of the substantial cost involved.

For the benefit of anyone considering this.. do it.

Am amazed at how much better the ride has gotten.. wish I had done it sooner.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha,

I'm moving to 18" wheels / tires and debating if I should go with an E rated tire or if that will lead to lower ride quality.

Load range on this tire sold in the Middle East is D, though state side you should be able to get the E rated ones.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife put on the Geolandar G015 on her RR and she claims they are the best tires she has ever had, and she is fussy. She does wish they looked a bit beefier (she had the Duratracs before these), but she could not be happier with their performance in dry/wet/snow (and they are quiet so far, but most new tires are). There seems to be 2 slight variations of the Geolandar tread/sidewall lugs based on images and a set I saw at a local store. The 255/55/19 size actually seems like the "milder" of the two :(.

She does not go offroad, but she does drive well into triple digits mph and they apparently thrive there...

I never took a clean photo of them, but here are some dirty ones from this winter:

Yokohama 1.jpg
Yokohama 2.jpg
Yokohama 3.jpg

This is the other version:
M-tire1LR-1.jpg

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha,

I'm moving to 18" wheels / tires and debating if I should go with an E rated tire or if that will lead to lower ride quality.

In my opinion, there's no use in going to 18" wheels unless you go with E-rated tires. The whole point, to me at least, is to open up the door to off-road tires with stronger sidewalls.

Aside from that, you can make a really good argument that the weight of the LR4--especially if you have any mods on it--is enough to warrant the E-rated tires.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72