Roof Rail Differences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richg

Reaction score
Trying to decide if I should get a full length set of rails, or if the shorter set will be sufficient for what I want to put up there (mostly extra luggage and occasional 2x4's etc; not any expedition sort of things).

Does anyone have overall length dimensions so I can determine the difference? Ideally, forward-most cross bar position to rearmost cross bar position.

Thanks

Rich

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically speaking, the short tracks are long enough to mount a long cargo box to cross bars such as a Thule or Yakima.

Are you ordering an LR4? I must assume you don't have the vehicle yet....?

richg

Reaction score
No, I already have one, a 2012, but it doesn't have any roof rails on it currently.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No ****?! I figured the short rails were standard. Bizarre. Well, I have a set of short or long for sale once I decide which ones I want to stick with. I'll measure this evening when I check the mail ;) Roughly I'm betting the shorts are close to 40-44" or so for resulting cross bar mount spacing.

richg

Reaction score
I just went out to the truck to double check, but it just appears to have black trim coverings where the rails would go. Please do let me know what they measure out to for cross bar spacing. Thank you!

rich

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 lr4

I put on long ones and immediately regretted it. Our nice quiet highway ride no more. Significant wind noise. Changed out for short and back to normal. Use surf rack, Thule cargo container/bin no problem. The long only offer one more notch forward than short which I would have never used. I think it would only be needed if putting on full roof rack (safari style).

Please note my full rails were off eBay likely China made and installed by me. I would hope factory OE and installed would not have same wind noise for the full rails.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the long OEM factory rails. No wind noise whatsoever, must be specific to that 3rd party vendor from eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No doubt, the old saying holds true you get what you pay for!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM