RR Classic 2.4d strange vibrations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

stevenramsey

I have had some strange stearing and vibrations occuring at speeds in exccess of 35mph when hitting bumps or manholes in the road. these vibrations are not coming through the stearing but seem to be an up and down movement. I have just completed an exaused list of cures including. Stearing shock(six months ago) Power stearing box(was leaking) ball joint bottom of the drop arm, pan hard rubbers and bolts. On the ramp there seems to be no movement in any other joint. The vibration is viloent enough i think to hit the susension stoppers. HELP.

Steven Ramsey

M

mahatmacoat

Can you describe the vibration? Is it a short sharp 'thud' or a series of decaying imapcts? Can you hear the impact as well, or is it just felt through the seat? Can you explain what 'pan hard' rubbers are?

What size of pothole/manhole do you have to hit and at what speed for it to feel like you hit the stops? Is it more from the front of the vehicle or the rear, or both?

It sounds like either shock/spring failure or suspension bush failure, but need to know more before I can say. (I'm an ex Land Rover Transmission Refinement Engineer, so have quite a lot of experience with these vehicles, but mostly on the powertrain side so not totally up with the chassis!)

S

stevenramsey

Its more of a decaying imacts but as soon as it happens badly at about 50mph with 500 to 600mm manholes I start to slow down. I have changed the shocks but not the spings.
The panhard is the lateral metal bar that secures the two sides of the car together the rubbers are a metal cylinder then rubber then a small metal cylinder with a dirty big bolt runing through the midle. Now that you have mentioned it iam not sure if it the front or the back as the whole car seems to jump, but there is no movement in the stearing wheel when it occurs. may be its the shocks at the back?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635