Running board removal question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Disco Fever

Reaction score
Hello all! New to the forum and currently waiting for 2016 Indus silver LR4 to arrive in a few weeks. Ordered base and optioned up as I have no need for the third row or NAV and didn't want to pay....I did option the HD pckg, full length black rails and cold climate pckg as well as swapping out the grill and vents for Atlas (just cuz I like it better than the Brunel). As I am in full blown OCD mode in preparation my first order of business is to get rid of those dealer forced running boards which for me personally are unnecessary on many levels. Eventually will install sliders but not until next year. In meantime question is should I be concerned with the exposed framing due to factory cuts in lower rocker panel trim post removal? Perhaps replacing trim with some from MY2014 assuming same fit as this was the last year running boards were still a dealer installed option. I've researched all threads, vids online, blogs etc... And cannot find anything specific to this concern valid or not. looking forward to being a part of the community!

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know 100% as I didn't have factory steps, but my lr4 came with no sliders or rails (side trim intact). And installing tubes involved cutting a few holes in the trim and attaching tubes to the existing holes in the frame.

Given my experience I would assume you could remove those factory steps and simply replace with new uncut trim.

Note, there were rubber grommets filling the unused attach points in the frame (maybe to prevent rust), so you may want to do something similar.

Other than buying new trim, sounds doable and you should have a clean look with the new trim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Disco Fever

Reaction score
Thanks for the input JotaDe! I think im going to go ahead and order RH & LH MY2014 trim pc's and install until i get the sliders. In regard to the rubber grommets are you refering to the circular black ones that fit on the side of the rocker panel (not the plastic rivets connecting bottom to frame)? Unbelievable Land Rover forces you, if not wanting side steps, to jump through hoop$ to simply create what i view as a non-optioned normal version. Any ideas as to why LR has done this? Iknow there is speculation re side step dumping due to overstock and even perhaps DOT regulations but nothing concrete yet...

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Disco Fever,

Welcome.

I took my boards off my 15' and I am not bothered with the trim appearance. You really can't see it from above. I'm pretty particular about these things too, nothing to be worried about in my opinion.

I'll try to shoot a pic of it and post here when I have time.

Hardest part for me was getting the trim off. You just end up pulling down and away from the truck and they will eventually pop off the plastic anchors. I managed to break one anchor but it has no ill affects.

Once off, you may want to remove the aluminum extrusions that create a rigid contact point between the board and the frame. You'll end up seeing those if you stand back from the truck. I haven't bothered to remove mine yet as I had to make sure the wife was satisfied without the step, its her DD. Of course she's undecided, so I said "tough". :ahhhhh:

Disco Fever

Reaction score
Thanks very much Waterndirt. I purchased a fastener remover and set of pry tools to help get the trim off as cleanly as possible (i dont have the guts to pull off). Good idea with the extrusion. Pictures would be fabulous and thanks for even offering.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First shot is what it looks like at a 2' eye level.

Second shot is about 1' eye level. You can also pick up the aluminum extrusions under the rear passenger door.

You have to stand back about 10' before you pick up the notched trim, my white paint doesn't help.

Attachments

• IMG_4822.jpg
    IMG_4822.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4823.jpg
    IMG_4823.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 88

Disco Fever

Reaction score
Wow thanks so much for posting these! It appears the factory cut runs pretty much the length of the trim. Looks like the heat sinks may be more visible due to the lack of a complete trim pc? Or is this inconsequential in your opinion?

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the lack of trim makes a difference, if any its minimal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99