Running boards / side steps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi - Absolutely loving my almost 4 week old 2011 HSE in Rimini Red. So far, no real issues at all - radio/nav system went silent 2 times, but restarted upon turning on/off the ignition.

Wanted to know if anyone has installed OEM or aftermarket running boards. If so, any recommendations? Should I let the dealer do it? My kids (and I) could really use the help getting into the car, plus I think it will really enhance the looks.

If you've done this or know what for and where I should be looking I would appreciate the info.

Thanks!

p.s. Did the LR Experience Driving school the other day in Carmel Valley - it was so freakin awesome....made me love and respect the LR4 even more.
Hey starrover,

Thanks for starting this thread, I have been thinking of getting running boards as well, but still looking around and trying to decide what to do. I'll keep you posted.

Wow, you went to Quail Lodge for the driving experience, that's awesome! I am thinking of going there at some point, as I am about an hour away. Do you live in the SF Bay area?

starrover

Reaction score
Hey starrover,

Thanks for starting this thread, I have been thinking of getting running boards as well, but still looking around and trying to decide what to do. I'll keep you posted.

Wow, you went to Quail Lodge for the driving experience, that's awesome! I am thinking of going there at some point, as I am about an hour away. Do you live in the SF Bay area?

I do live in the SF Bay Area - the South Bay in LG. Where are you? I completely recommend going to the driving school if you live any where near one. It was fun, plus really informative. I really feel like I have a much better command of the LR4 now than I did before.

starrover

Reaction score
Hey,
I have ordered the LR4 OEM ones. Should be delivered this week. I have an appointment with the service department to get them installed. Can't believe they want 2.5 hrs for running board install and 2.5 hrs for roof rails!
Just don't understand why it takes them that long.

Anyway, I will post after the install is done later in the week.

Garg,

Please post pics when you've gotten them installed. I have only seen them in person on an LR3 and would love to see how yours looks!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do live in the SF Bay Area - the South Bay in LG. Where are you? I completely recommend going to the driving school if you live any where near one. It was fun, plus really informative. I really feel like I have a much better command of the LR4 now than I did before.
Hello starrover,

I also live in the SF Bay area, in fact not that far from LG. I am in San Carlos on the peninsula. I did get invited to the driving school at Quail Lodge last month (for free), but was unable to attend because I was out of town in Boston. I would definitely like to go at some point. Did you drive your own vehicle or one of their trucks?

Where did you buy your LR4? I live a few miles from the Redwood City LR dealership, but I bought my LR4 at LR of San Jose. They were great!

Such a small world!

-David

starrover

Reaction score
Hello starrover,

I also live in the SF Bay area, in fact not that far from LG. I am in San Carlos on the peninsula. I did get invited to the driving school at Quail Lodge last month (for free), but was unable to attend because I was out of town in Boston. I would definitely like to go at some point. Did you drive your own vehicle or one of their trucks?

Where did you buy your LR4? I live a few miles from the Redwood City LR dealership, but I bought my LR4 at LR of San Jose. They were great!

Such a small world!

-David

Ironically, although I am much closer to SJ I bought mine in Redwood City! I did the private off road session with one of their LR4s. I haven't been to an owner event yet, but would also like to when I get the chance. My instructor took me on one of the courses they set up for the owner events.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ironically, although I am much closer to SJ I bought mine in Redwood City! I did the private off road session with one of their LR4s. I haven't been to an owner event yet, but would also like to when I get the chance. My instructor took me on one of the courses they set up for the owner events.
Awesome! How much was the course?

spudd

Reaction score
Self Install.

I apologize for reviving an old thread, but has anyone tried installing the OEM running boards themselves? Looking at the parts from bputah.com, it doesn't look that bad.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize for reviving an old thread, but has anyone tried installing the OEM running boards themselves? Looking at the parts from bputah.com, it doesn't look that bad.

I don't think they are hard to install. They don't require any new holes to be drilled. You would however need a way to jack up the truck safely.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score

My wife gave me the Quail Lodge outing for my birthday a couple of years ago. It was fun, but not particularly educational or challenging. If you want to learn how to drive offroad, there are better courses out there.

I recommend Harald Pietschmann of 4x4ABC.com He's the real deal. He will train you on the Rubicon Trail, using his trucks. (No sense beating up your own truck while grappling with the learning curve.) He teaches off road driving to military and gov't agencies. His philosophy is not one of merely pitting your vehicle against the trail. He teaches you how to get from A to B — and then back to A — without damaging your truck. There were couples and single women on my trip, so don't think you have to leave the wife at home, or that you have to be a man to attend. (Either way, though, you'll be more of a man when you return. ;) ) He covers all the theory and practice of driving and recovery.

Equally reknowned, and catering more to the Land Rover community, is Bill Burke's 4-Wheeling America. I haven't taken his off-road course but I did attend a seminar at Expedition Exchange. He is extremely knowledgable, his reputation is unsurpassed, and I would love to take one of his courses.

If you take either of those offroad courses, you will wish you went with the RoverRacks rock sliders rather than the OEM running boards.

Last edited:

spudd

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Garg. My salesperson dissuaded me from getting the rock sliders if all it will be used for is getting in and out of the truck. I'm not the adventurous type, anyways.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4