Seat Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else gotten any type of seat wear?

2013 LR4 HSE - 96k miles

My drivers seat is just starting to show a tiny bit of wear. I cleaned them yesterday and noticed the cleaner darkened the spot where the leather is worn through. Luckily nothing is ripped, but I need to figure out how to prevent a tear.

I normally wear athletic shorts or dress pants. Never wear jeans in my car. No buttons or any aggressive fabric that touches these.

I looked at the OEM seat covers, but I don’t like the idea of seat covers and they’re pushing $400 for the front pair. They seem nice though.

It’s pretty hard to see the wear, but it looks like a sanded down area on the edge. Right above the top row of stitching.

0EEC2619-87F8-4BB3-B3C7-158019C9801A.jpeg

5727E3D6-64AB-4E55-9051-9D63D96ADBE0.jpeg

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, you should be cleaning and conditioning the leather regularly.

watch some of larry's videos.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do clean and condition them about every 4-6 months. Car is garaged and when it’s not a sunshade is up.

I just feel like I’ve done everything correctly and they still wore away lol.

I only noticed it when I was cleaning them because that spot absorbed a little product and got damp.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key is not to slide on the bolster but actually get your derriere up and off the seat.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is called wear for a reason - normal use plus a few years and that is what you end up with.

I have about 400,000 km (250,000 miles) on my 3 now and at about 300, I replaced that vertical insert on the left side of the seat cushion. It started to develop a horizontal crack sometime previous. Now I have noticed that the seat itself is showing signs of wear so probably I should replace the seat cushing and maybe with that comes, a new vertical segment as well.

There is a seat shop here in our village - they order the identical repair materials from somewhere. After a couple of months wait time, the replacement material arrived, was sewn in and all looked factory again. I think seat cushions may arrive all put together so it is more just a remove and replace task.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV