Selling the LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a sign— David changing his mind about selling his LR4 just as I contemplate selling mine…

Most long term members of this forum are probably familiar with my 2013 5.0L HSE in Santorini Black with tan interior. Just turned 100K and running whisper quiet on a steady diet of $13/qt Castrol factory spec synthetic oil DIY changes at 5K intervals. Not the HD package, but I invested in a matching alloy rim and FS spare and all 5 tires are almost new Conti Terrain Contact A/T’s. Accessories are mostly cosmetic and include rear ladder from Atlantic British (passenger side mount), LR cross bars, Rhino hitch, and LR rubber mats. Depending on circumstances, I may remove these accessories for sale to my local LR club.

Recently drove it from DC to FL in early January…just in time for a huge snowstorm that shut down nearly 50 miles if I-95. The LR4 allowed us to punch our way out of the jam and then to pass people on the single open lane by gleefully chewing through the deep snow on the unplowed lanes. It was straight out of a LR commercial. I have done some very minor (IMO) off-roading over the 70K miles of ownership with no suspension or body damage or even trail rash. This is the future classic LR4 V8.

Full gallery of photos on IG @districtrover.

Still researching a fair price for my well-loved and tended LR4. I’ve also got a big folder of service receipts. I’ve seen clean specimens that match mine going for $24K at retail.

Why considering selling? I admit to a lot of pre-seller’s remorse. But it also feels like a good point to turn it over to someone new, in good conscience that it is in fantastic condition inside and out, including under the hood. My needs have changed slightly and I don’t do much towing or big cargo hauling like I used to. I’m considering a preowned RR L405 as a good match for my recent retirement lifestyle.

Open to any group therapy that would either talk me out of it, suggest pricing, or express interest. My timing is fluid. I’ve found a nice L405 that has my interest but the transactions don’t necessarily need to line up.

PS: Timing chains have not been done (as mentioned they are whisper quiet) but rear liftgate actuator has been replaced!

D7690B7D-7245-420D-BB36-A94437C7498A.jpeg

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re right but I’ve never purposely photographed mine that way to hide anything. At any rate, most subjects look better when not in direct sunlight. Make me an offer, ktm525!! :-D

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too much $$$ if I convert into Canadian pesos.

$24k US = $30.8k Cdn. That's nearly what I paid for a 40k mile 2010 that was 3 years old in 2013.. Looks like it's in great shape though. Should be an easy sell.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Open to any group therapy that would either talk me out of it, suggest pricing, or express interest. My timing is fluid. I’ve found a nice L405 that has my interest but the transactions don’t necessarily need to line up.

The l405 is one of the (many) vehicles I've thought about selling my LR4 for. What engine are you eyeing?

I'd lean toward the diesel myself, but I question whether I'd put enough long running highway miles on it to keep the emissions gremlins at bay.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The l405 is one of the (many) vehicles I've thought about selling my LR4 for. What engine are you eyeing?

The one I’m looking at later today is the SCV6. Yes I’ve had my fun lording my 5.0L V8 over the 2014+ owners but from all accounts the SCV6 is a very capable power plant and the L405 seems to be a bit lighter than the LR4. My indy mechanic warned me away from the Td6 because of the sensors.

I’m currently watching a bunch of L405 youtube reviews as part of my deprogramming therapy. I know I’m going to have some remorse but I’m ready for a change. I’m half tempted to basically give it to my daughter for a steal just to keep it nearby.

Shumba

Reaction score
I'm in Southern California and will be putting our 2013 LR4 up for sale. Need to determine pricing, but wondering about the most efficient process to do this. Thinking of just posting it on Autotrader. Any other thoughts/guidance would be appreciated.

We bought this LR4 new in Sept. 2013 and it has been my wife's daily driver. Just bought her a new 2022 Defender, so no need to hang on to the LR4 any longer. It is an HSE in white with the Black design package and 19" factory black wheels. I will take photos later today. 121,500 miles and runs just as strong/smooth as the day we bought it. It was manufactured in July 2013, so one of the last 2013 5.0 V8s to be made. Also just put some Terrain Contact AT tires on about 8,000 miles ago. Has never really been off roaded, other than some snow covered roads on ski trips or hard packed dirt roads on a few camping trips. I have a 2014 Ford Raptor for our off road adventures!

Will post up some photos later today.
Thanks

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I’m looking at later today is the SCV6. Yes I’ve had my fun lording my 5.0L V8 over the 2014+ owners but from all accounts the SCV6 is a very capable power plant and the L405 seems to be a bit lighter than the LR4. My indy mechanic warned me away from the Td6 because of the sensors.

I’m currently watching a bunch of L405 youtube reviews as part of my deprogramming therapy. I know I’m going to have some remorse but I’m ready for a change. I’m half tempted to basically give it to my daughter for a steal just to keep it nearby.

If nothing else, you're probably pretty familiar with the idiosyncrasies of the SCV6 just by virtue of being on this forum and owning the closely-related V8.

My local Land Rover service department said that the diesel is the one they'd recommend but I would have to make sure to take it on longer highway drives every now and then to keep everything happy. My daily commute is 4 miles of city-street driving, so essentially a diesel would require me to take a special weekly trip just for the Rover.

Seems somewhat counterproductive if the better fuel economy is a reason to go with the diesel.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local Land Rover service department said that the diesel is the one they'd recommend but I would have to make sure to take it on longer highway drives every now and then to keep everything happy. My daily commute is 4 miles of city-street driving, so essentially a diesel would require me to take a special weekly trip just for the Rover.

That’s good to know. I now have a regular 50-mile drive that would make me a good candidate for a diesel. That is, if I decide to make a change.

I inspected and test-drove the 2016 SCV6 RR. It was everything I expected it to be in terms of comfort, style, tech, and performance. On the way back to the seller’s place, I stopped by a JLR dealer I’ve used for years. My guy there ran a Carfax on the RR for me as a courtesy. He said they could do a PPI on the RR if I wanted which is great since they are less than a mile away from the seller. He also said that if my LR4 was running well I should just keep it, and if not he’d give me top dollar for it (I didn’t get an actual quote but left with that knowledge in my pocket).

Bottom line I was not super excited by the RR. Excited, but not super excited. Not enough to push this any further right now. So before leaving the JLR place, I bought 9 qts of Castrol Gucci oil and will do an oil change this week. For now, the Disco stays.

Thanks for the talk, guys. :)))

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one thing that keeps me with my LR4 every time I consider going with a FFRR is how surprisingly little the FFRR seems inside compared to the LR4, especially the rear cargo area. The square, boxy design of the LR4 pays off for more than just looks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA