Service engine soon after oxygen sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2000 Series II with 104,000 miles. I recently replaced an oxygen sensor, number 1 bank front sensor. The service engine light came on when it went bad. After I replaced the sensor the light is still on. Will the light go off after a given number of starts or do I have to have it reset? When it came on after the seafoam treatment it eventually went off. I didn't know if this was the case here or not. BTW the oxygen sensor was definatley the problem it runs much better now.
Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It should reset itself, but it may take a while.... but if you own any vehicle I always recommend having an OBDII reader you will use it for more than just the rover... and for less than $100 it may be the best tool you can buy.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I appreciate it. It just annoys me to have lights on the dash on. I'll give it a few more days.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What scanner do you reccomend? My other car is a 2002 Mercedes ML 500.
Thanks again.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Any scanner will work, just go to you local auto parts store and buy one... if you want more details (major work type info) on either vehicle you will need to spend a lot more than $100, my guess would be around $1500 or so on the high end... other wise any OBDII scanner will work.

Brownie92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks.
I'm actually surprised how cheap they are.

C

charley_bucket

I got the free alternative

I went into a local auto zone and stood at the counter debating the spendy purchase of a device I would use once or twice more in the vehicles life, and then I asked the sales person if I they had a display model and they gladly took me out and plugged it on, and if you leave it connected and then shut the engine off and then start it again, if the problem is gone, it will clear.
Good Luck!

Mudquest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, if you own a DI or especially a DII - an OBII reader is probably going to be one of the most effective tools in the garage for fixing your own vehicle.

An absolute necessity. My humble .02

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you replace an Oxygen sensor you should clear the light with a scan tool and reset engine adaptions with that tool.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635