Shock Install...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M

montanablur

Is 3 1/2 hours to long to install 4 shocks? thats what a shop quoted me, but that seems like my kind of time frame, not proffessionals with power tools...

D

discomike

Why don't you do it your self??
If you are at all mechanical you could do the fronts in 30 to 45 minutes and about the same in the rear.
If not yes the are screwing you and should probably go back to tech school.
The problem is they are using someones flat rate book instead of trying to make a customer out of you.
Tell them 2 hours total or suggest they open a basket weaving shop.
Mike J.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree... 4 shocks should take no longer than a couple hours, and that is at home without a lift, at a shop it should be even less...with my luck I usually get charged even more than what I was quoted so it should start off on the low end, starting at 3.5 hours is really bad especially when you think they might tack on extras.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
I am with Mike .. I lifted my Rover (OME HD Springs and Shocks) in less than 4 hours..I was quoted up to 250.00 to install from a shop like Hibdon tire(s).
Good Luck, Melissa

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 1/2 hours at what rate? I did my first shock install at local tyre shop for 15$/shock - on XTerra. Shop around man :)

Rovers are wee bit more complex, but only because of front shock towers. In general 20 minutes / shock is a plenty (i did did installation of two sets of 4 by now, so i can attest that if they are indeed very old and rusty - front ones are pain..)

M

montanablur

I would do it myself, I just have serious lack of garage space. I have actually done some more shopping around and have found better. What is the deal with garages thinking since you own a Rover you also have a money tree in the backyard...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sinuhe - you can do it in parking lot with one stand and jack :)

C

Cozmo

I don't have a garage, I did shocks and springs in my driveway. Just don't forget to use safety stands.

M

montanablur

Copy that Ghost Rider... Setting aside Saturday to do it... Will let you know how it goes... Any special tools, besdides the usual?

D

discomike

No special tools required, what year Disco do you have?
Mike J.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM