Should this knocking be concerning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some offroading footage over the long weekend...wondering if the knocking at the 7-10 sec mark is a concern? it kinda looks like it does this on the other side as well. but just wanted to verify this is normal, or if not, what I should do about it.

YouTube - ‪LR3 Underbody‬‏

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Control arm bushings need to be replaced, fairly common issue.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my next question is how immediately i should be looking into this? I dont really hear any knocking during my normal day to day driving, just saw the movement in that video. the only strange steering related thing i have experienced is when the wheel is cranked all the way one way there is a bit of a bumping/rocking feeling?

Has anyone replaced these themselves? It looks like it is pretty involved/needs special tools?

Also, considering my dealership just performed my alignment cause i got new tires. Wouldn't they have noticed this/brought it to my attention?

Last edited:

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
Most people don't even know the bushings are going out until they hear that knocking while braking and going over speed bumps. You caught yours early. My dealer quoted me $1200 after alignment. I'd imagine an indy shop could do it for less, but you'll still need an alignment. One could replace for poly urethane bushings, but you're looking at higher labor costs.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And again, it should be under warranty, unless you've got too many miles.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, its definitely out of warranty. If its something I could do myself, I would like to spend the time to learn how to do it. My biggest concern would be messing up the air suspension/damaging something. Ive downloaded the topix manual, so I have an idea of how involved it is. Just wondering if anyone has a real world experience having done it themselves?

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not done any LR bushings, but as far as bushings go, they are generally not that hard to replace. The issue could be that your bolt has rusted to the sleeve inside the bushing and you can't get it out. The solution is to get your sawzall out and cut the bolt out and get a new one.

Seems to me you'd support the vehicle on jack stands, remove the bolts holding the bushings in, drop the arm down, remove old bushing, put new in and put arm back in place. Then find a good alignment shop. Replace them all on the front because the others are soon to follow.

http://www.landrovermerriamparts.co...=LR3&year=2006&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

J.D.

Dave Legacy

Reaction score
The carriage bolts should not be reused so make sure you get fresh ones.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo