Side protection moldings!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Georgemera1

Reaction score
Are they easy to install it, do someone has directions on how to do it and where did you buy them.

Thanks in advance.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Georgemera1,

Thanks for starting this thread, I've been thinking of getting some as well. I have a Nara Bronze LR4 and I think they look great. I want the all black - no chrome.

One other thing I realized is that sometimes you can get them cheaper for the LR3 and it appears to be the same part number as for the LR4 - as far as the black ones.

I am still going back and forth, but looking forward to this discussion.

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have the dealer or a body shop install those. If you're off even by a couple millimeters it wouldn't look right. I don't have them on my LR4.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had them installed by my dealer, along with a few other accessories (rear lamp guards & roof rack). I wanted to do it myself, but after trying to decipher the instructions on how to measure properly I decided that for the $100 or so the dealer charged for the installation I'd be better off letting them do it, rather than looking at crooked moldings for the next few years.

The dealer actually told me they've had to correct a bunch of improperly installed moldings in the past - you apparently need to have a good (dry, warm) environment for the adhesive to cure for approx 24 hours, and you need to be able to heat up the sheet metal for a better adhesion (I suppose a hair dryer might work for that). And, of course, you need to be able to measure it properly - I'm betting the dealers have some sort of mold/guide to allow them to install these easily without having to measure to the millimeter each time - as far as I can tell they got them on there perfect.

I do like the look of them, and they definitely seem to provide extra protection from door dings in parking lots.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had them installed by my dealer, along with a few other accessories (rear lamp guards & roof rack). I wanted to do it myself, but after trying to decipher the instructions on how to measure properly I decided that for the $100 or so the dealer charged for the installation I'd be better off letting them do it, rather than looking at crooked moldings for the next few years.

The dealer actually told me they've had to correct a bunch of improperly installed moldings in the past - you apparently need to have a good (dry, warm) environment for the adhesive to cure for approx 24 hours, and you need to be able to heat up the sheet metal for a better adhesion (I suppose a hair dryer might work for that). And, of course, you need to be able to measure it properly - I'm betting the dealers have some sort of mold/guide to allow them to install these easily without having to measure to the millimeter each time - as far as I can tell they got them on there perfect.

I do like the look of them, and they definitely seem to provide extra protection from door dings in parking lots.
I agree! I am planning to have my dealership install them if I actually move forward and get them. I heard they can be a bit tricky and you have to be EXACT or they look like crap.

Do you have some pictures?

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree! I am planning to have my dealership install them if I actually move forward and get them. I heard they can be a bit tricky and you have to be EXACT or they look like crap.

Do you have some pictures?

Here's a pic...

Attachments

• lr4.JPG
    lr4.JPG
    509.2 KB · Views: 186

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the picture - ah, yes... I remember your LR4 now. Looks awesome! The side mouldings definitely look great.

-David

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's funny how some are installed low and some are installed about 6 inches or so higher than depicted in the picture above. I wonder where is the best place to put them in order the get the best protection. I'm assumeing they should be installed at the most convex part of the door.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just compare this pic with the pic of the LR4 in the compomotive wheel thread and you'll see the difference in isntallation.

goblue95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just compare this pic with the pic of the LR4 in the compomotive wheel thread and you'll see the difference in isntallation.

I noticed that too. If you look at the stock LR4 photos on the Land Rover web site, the ones with the side moldings show them in the lower position, I think closer to where mine are installed. Not to say one way is better looking/more effective than the other, but I assume/hope the dealer would have installed them per LR specs.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM