Slow tire leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratcliff

Reaction score
I have a '06 LR3 that we just purchased. We love it. What a great ride.

I have a slow leak in several tires. The leak is worse in the front right tire. I recently had the tires rotated and balanced and at the same time they checked all tires. They found one small nail, but no leaks. Is it possible that the "low pressure monitoring" system is the culprit or did hte tire place just miss something.

Thanks!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.... Alloy wheels tend leak air.... I would recommend a good tire sealant... There are several on the market, just find one that is compatible with the pressure monitoring system.

Ratcliff

Reaction score
Only one tire is loosing a lot (ie: over a pound a day) and two others are loosing less than that (1/2 pound a day or less) and the fourth tire is not loosing any air. The inconsistency is what makes me think it is something else. Any thoughts??

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a nail. you have a leak and a good tire store repair is in order. As for using stop leak type sealants, most tire stores will charge you extra when having to work on a tire/wheel that is all gooped up. It is not a good way to go or suggested by any tire people, stay away from it.

Ratcliff

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I found the problem....another nail. This one in the side wall

With the four wheel drive apparently LR does not recommend mixing old and new tires (if the tread depth difference is greater than 2/32) so it means 4 new tires.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you are needing 4 new tires, consider what you want out of a new set and try not to buy the same factory style tire. There are so many other tires that are more suited to a Rovers needs.

Ratcliff

Reaction score
I agree. Thanks for the input!

I believe that I have decided on the Kumhos, since we do not go off-road. That is what is currently on the car and they have worn well and evenly and they make for a good ride. The price point is good and they have a 60k mile warranty.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge