Small door ding repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever have a small ding in the sheet metal repaired? My first one showed up the other week. Smaller than the size of a dime. Just enough to chip the paint and obscure the light when it bounces of the sheet metal. Are these even repairable for a reasonable price?

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used "dent wizard" in the past with great success on many vehicles, including an all aluminum A8. They can't fix the chip, but will get rid of the dent, I think it cost me $150. With touch up paint, toothpicks, sandpaper, a DA and careful work I have been able fix chips by cleaning the ship, sanding, filling slowly, sanding down the touch up and polishing out the finish. It's not so easy on metallics and large chips, but it can be done. The local MB dealer here has a "chip doctor" i've watched who uses small insulin needles and touch up to fix chips and does a great job. Google your area and see if you've got these near you, or swing by a local, high end auto dealer and see who they use on their used lots for touch ups.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it done to my 2013 and it worked great. The guy I used was a "Dent Artist". :)

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a paintless guy out to fix our 6 day old MY2014. :mad:. Wife was hit at her work parking garage, dent was more than just single impression. He spent well over 4 hours working at it with suction cups, rods and hammers. He did his best but its not completely fixed. $300 big ones! I don't have an "after" picture, I'll try. Dent was on drivers side, passenger door lower right corner. He called it "English Sheet Metal". I believe its just a heavier gauge than what us American's are used to. My doors are steel. Tailgate and hood are aluminum.

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    378 KB · Views: 55

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a paintless guy out to fix our 6 day old MY2014. :mad:. Wife was hit at her work parking garage, dent was more than just single impression. He spent well over 4 hours working at it with suction cups, rods and hammers. He did his best but its not completely fixed. $300 big ones! I don't have an "after" picture, I'll try. Dent was on drivers side, passenger door lower right corner. He called it "English Sheet Metal". I believe its just a heavier gauge than what us American's are used to. My doors are steel. Tailgate and hood are aluminum.

Jezus that is a heck of a door dig!! I'd be out for blood!

It reasons like this that I park in the farthest spot of the parking lot. People have no respect anymore for anyone's property.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was from a bumper. We have video of the vehicle, however you can't see the truck move. They're putz's and not coughing up anything. :stupid:

I'm over it and I'm sure there will other "misc dents / pinstripes" from weekend activities to follow.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was from a bumper. We have video of the vehicle, however you can't see the truck move. They're putz's and not coughing up anything. :stupid:

That sucks. People suck.

See if I get any pinstripes this weekend at RAW.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine got egged within a few weeks of being new, and then a huge deer/buck slammed into the side of it a few months ago. So, one side has been repainted twice already and the hood and rear door replaced. I have two rock chips on the repainted hood already.

It's really hard to keep it perfect, it sucks.

Rock sliders with nerf bars and off road height helps prevent some dents in parking lots. And also nerdy statistical probability based parking algorithms.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99