Spare Wheel Protector, from RLD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I have tried to find user RLD but no luck, does anybody have any links, pictures of what a wheel / spare tire rubber protector might look like? I would like to order one I think, I have not a full-size spare but a donut spare on my 2008 Landrover LR3 SE with the 7 seats. Is there any off-roading space benefit to relocating my donut space say to the roof?

Not sure how many of you frequent the disco4.com forums, but I wanted to post this here so people knew about it.

A member on that forum, RLD (aka Uncle Ray) fabricates all sorts of nice stuff for land rovers. I recently bought one of his spare wheel protectors to keep people from stealing my spare. It is much more common of a crime in the U.K. it seems, but when I saw this thing, I figured it looked nice and would prevent a painful expense as I am all over the map with my rover.

edit: In case its not obvious what this is for, people can cut the cable on the spare wheel winch and steal the wheel/tire. This plate is very easy to install and will prevent access to the cable.

I got an 18" one. It works just fine with the 19" stock wheels and will work nicely with my compomotive 18" wheels.

cost me £102.17 GBP total ($160.80 USD)

20r4q2q.jpg

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go: https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/anti-theft-discovery-34-spare-wheel-protector/

Re relocation to the roof: I would avoid adding weight unnecessarily to the roof. Unless you are going to add an auxiliary fuel tank, or custom build a Jerry can holder (post #21
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/lr4-remove-3rd-row-seats.197214/page-2 ) , or your wheel won't fit, I would just leave your spare underneath

Hey I have tried to find user RLD but no luck, does anybody have any links, pictures of what a wheel / spare tire rubber protector might look like? I would like to order one I think, I have not a full-size spare but a donut spare on my 2008 Landrover LR3 SE with the 7 seats. Is there any off-roading space benefit to relocating my donut space say to the roof?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in having full coverage spare tire protectors manufactured? I have a design and a machine shop ready to go, I would just need people interested in going through with this.

The protector will be made of thick steel. I'm looking into powder coat or paint options as well so they don't rust. Stainless is too expensive.

Cost would probably be anywhere from 150-200 shipped depending on a few factors.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be interested depending on the design. I like the idea of the Jerry can holder from the post above. If you were designing a flat "skid plate" design that spanned the frame--and had an integrated heat shield on the back side--i am game!

Would anyone be interested in having full coverage spare tire protectors manufactured? I have a design and a machine shop ready to go, I would just need people interested in going through with this.

The protector will be made of thick steel. I'm looking into powder coat or paint options as well so they don't rust. Stainless is too expensive.

Cost would probably be anywhere from 150-200 shipped depending on a few factors.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be interested depending on the design. I like the idea of the Jerry can holder from the post above. If you were designing a flat "skid plate" design that spanned the frame--and had an integrated heat shield on the back side--i am game!
I could do that design too. Let me figure out a rough cost on that one. It’s more material so it’ll cost more to ship and manufacture, but let me price it out.

I also have a auxiliary fuel tank already designed but the logistics behind it are pretty complicated/expensive and it doesn’t hold much fuel (5 gallons). I’d have to relocate the spare tire for more fuel but we already have a company doing that

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM