Steering issue (is this normal?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinkelley

Reaction score
Hi Jimmy,
Can you tell me how you made out, any luck resolving your issue, did you figure out what was causing the issue?

I have a 2012 LR4 with a very similar issue but less severe in terms of pulling to the right.

I just recently had a crap ton of work that may be the cause. I recently had my engine chain replaced. Replaced both rear control arms with polly bushings, I had an ARB rear locker installed and had the crank battery replaced.

It feels more like a traction control issue, which is better explained: It feels like a front wheel drive vehicle hunting for traction in slippery conditions, but I'm on dry pavement. DSC nor any other warning lights come on. No faults at all light up on dashboard.

To help troubleshoot the issue:
1. the dealership took 4 stock wheels from another LR4 in the shop, put them on my vehicle, test drove the truck and no issue with the traction control. From what I’m told...

2. the dealership measured the tread on front and rear. Big difference between them. Fronts were “like” new and rear had very little tread left. I replaced the rear with 2 new tires. That didn’t resolve the traction control issue. My thought was that the traction control system was “faulting” due to the difference from tread measurements on the front tires compared to rear tires. No change.

3. I thought it might be a steering sensor issue so I took my truck back to the auto shop to troubleshoot a possible steering sensor issue or investigate possible solutions and discovered I had a near blown right rear wheel bearing and from the test-driving/troubleshooting I completely destroyed it. In hindsight, it’s a good thing I kept searching for what was causing the front-end issue because I would not had discovered that my wheel bearing was so bad. I could have found out somewhere on a trail or a long car trip with my family. It could have ended much worse.

As a result, I had both right/left wheel bearings replaced and the right rear axle replaced. Driving with the blown wheel bearing damaged the axle. (Basically, my rear-end is like new. LOL). The only thing left to replace is the left axle but it doesn’t need it. No damage.

Anything you can share would be helpful and appreciated, especially if replacing the front end was involved to resolve the issue.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did anyone ever resolve this issue? I was accelerating hard today on the freeway and noticed that my steering wheel just wants to, and will do so if I let go, move left and right in a swaying motion. Again, only under acceleration but it gets lighter and starts wanting to sway under mild acceleration too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72