Steering wheel shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting a noticeable steering wheel shake/jitter at higher speeds on most surfaces. Didn’t get this before upgrading to 31’s. I know the 18 inch wheels a long with the bigger tires are much heavier and track different but I’m not sure if the place that put the tires on balanced them the best or if this is just a normal thing with the bigger tires. I had my front struts as well as my LCA and sway bar bushings replaced before I put 31’s on. Anyone else get this?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this happen after I had 265/65/18s installed.

Took it to a different shop and asked them to rebalance.

Shake 90% gone.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i second its the tires.

There is tire balancing, and there is tire balancing. Ive had tires "balanced" before by cheap shops. wheel shook. brought it to a reputable shop, re-balanced with a road force machine and the problem was gone.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thirdly agree it’s the tires. I got cooper zeons that shook the steering wheel like a mf’er between 40-70mph. I took it to a shady shop to get them balanced and it helped a little. I figured something else was worn like the swaybar or control arm bushings. It’s not until i was washing the wheels that i noticed a weight on the tire had came off that the shady shop had put on. They were closed for the day so i went to a bmw shop and they road force balanced it. Now i have no shake at all from the steering wheel. So i’m 95% sure your tires need to be balanced.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been going through this with my 265/60R18 Cooper S/T MAXX tires so am going to look for another tire shop that does this road force balance stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toothbob

Reaction score
I’ve fought this issue with my truck as well. I would strongly recommend using the IIDtool to put the truck in alignment mode (rigid or something mode, can’t remember what it’s called) and have a really good shop do a four wheel alignment and road force balance.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72