Strange misfire problem?? HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U

Unruely

I have a '94 D1 with 148,000 miles on it. i just bought it about 1 month ago and have dome some tune-up work on it. Last week it started having a strange misfire problem, i thought it was just the injectors which needed replaced anyway. I changed the injectors this weekend but am still having a problem. It will start instantly when it first cranks over and seems to idle fine for a while. I have about a 10 minute drive out a side road before i hit the main highway. I'm running about 25mph max until I hit the main road, if I have to sit at the intersection for more than a few seconds it starts running rough. When I pull out on the road it feels like I'm only running on 5-6 cylinders, very rough, coughing shudders until I go a little ways to about 40mph... Then it is like someone throws a switch and throws me back into the seat and really takes off.. If I have to stop again the same thing will happen?? So far the work I have done is this: changed plugs (Autolite platnium), wires, rotor button, distributor cap, all 8 injectors, ran half a can of Seafoam thru it, and cleaned the stepper motor. I have a bad exhaust leak in the Y pipe i need to get fixed soon, but would like to diagnose this problem first. I'm wondering about the coil or module?? Really just don't know what to do next?????????

Martin

L

Lendawg

Logically, if the exhaust leak is before the O2 sensors, it can affect the mixture for that bank.
(I have no practical proof for this theory.)
Keep us posted on your progress.

Len

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Martin... give me a call and I will come by and look at it... maybe we can figure this out. First thing I would do though is change the plugs out to the standard champions. By the way we have 4 things in common. LR's, R/C toys, Wives who sell HI and being in WV..... scary.

U

Unruely

Joey
I'm going to try and change the coil tonight and see what that does. If that doesn't work i will be in touch..

Martin

U

Unruely

Well I was going to try the coil change tonight, I have to order it and wait a couple of days for $105.. Yuk, and still not certain this is the problem..

Martin

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use a Land Rover rotor and cap? Always get those 2 things from the dealer for less headaches. And Joey is right about the plugs. Champion is the way to go.

U

Unruely

The Check Engine light came on this morning. I'm going to switch back to the Champion plugs and change the fuel filter tonight. I'm also ordering a LR Cap and rotor to replace the ones I put on.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Martin, sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday... got a Migraine..... of course I woke up with one today as well

U

Unruely

No problem, I've been there and done that... I don't want to go back either.. i'm still checking what i can.

Martin

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4