Suspension Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the compressor rebuild kit only address the dryer, seals, and other non-moving parts. When my compressor died, it was the motor that had burned out. It all started with the yellow suspension light, and a week or two later evolved into a red light with the vehicle lowering to the bump stops. I tried to remove the motor from the rest of the compressor housing, in the hopes that I could just put in a new motor and have the compressor working again, but the disassembly was too difficult. In any event, I put in a new compressor that I found on e-bay.

If you are mechanically inclined, try applying 12V directly to the compressor to see if it operates. This is one step to verify if the compressor is indeed dead.

One thing I discovered in the whole process is that the compressor from the FF Range Rover (not the RRS), is nearly identical to the LR3 compressor. I'm not sure which model year it's from, but the only difference that I could see with my eyes was that the power and status cables are slightly shorter on the FFRR compressor. I had some pictures up on this sight, but my FTP site was erased recently. I'll see if I can find the pictures and repost.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody send me a dead one, or totally dissect it, let's figure out who makes it. It worked for the Differentials Diffs.. I could use a few dead ones of those as well.

PhilSessions

Reaction score
Somebody send me a dead one, or totally dissect it, let's figure out who makes it. It worked for the Differentials Diffs.. I could use a few dead ones of those as well.

My 06 LR3 is at the dealer right now getting a new compressor, and hopefully I can get the old one so we can tear it down and find out whats causing them to go "bad". Will let you know later this evening.

GWDRoverTX

Reaction score
I have a 2007 LR3 V8 SE (58k miles), and while driving home yesterday I got the red suspension fault, suspension dropped to the bump stops, and message said restrict speed to < 30 mph. I pulled into a parking lot, shut it off for a few minutes, restarted and still had the fault. Message center said it would return to normal height after system cools down. I waited a while, restarted, no fault, and I was able to make it home. I did not start it until this morning and when I did, it had an amber fault for less than 15 seconds. Everything seemed normal so I drove to work this morning (it's my daily ride) with no problem. I spoke to my local LR indy shop and told them the story. The compressor was replaced by the previous owner at around 30K miles, so I don't think that is the problem. He suggested it might be a leaking air spring which would cause the compressor to run more than normal, causing it to heat up. If it is a leaking air spring, he said it is about $900 to replace one, most of it for the parts, not much labor. I checked around with the usual parts stores cited on this site (not LR dealer) and the air spring goes for $350 - $450. My question is, has anyone out there replaced an air spring and if so, how difficult is it? Any special tools required?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have changed a front one without too much trouble. Hardest part is depressurizing the system and then re-enable it. You really need a faultmate to do it.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...My question is, has anyone out there replaced an air spring and if so, how difficult is it? Any special tools required?
A buddy of mine has an Audi Allroad with similar air suspension setup. It lets you change heights and you can even force it into an extended mode like ours (not nearly as functional, limits speed, but similar system). Anyway, he bought it used and had the air shocks go. He read all the warnings, everywhere, about how this has to be done at the dealership. But, he found a place online that sold compatible air shocks (may have been an alternate vendor) and said it was very easy to replace. They came with instructions. Did it with a floor jack and no major issues.

Me, I'd probably go to the dealer and suck it up, but that's a lot of coin. Specially if you have to do four of them!

Geotrash

Reaction score
This is a great thread- thanks to everyone.

One idea- has anyone tried taking one to a competent starter/alternator repair shop? I do this with aircraft alternators and various oddball actuator motors all the time and the shop near my house does a better job than the manufacturers for overhaul/repair work. They can usually source parts for damn near anything. The alternator in my Cessna is essentially a 1960s Motorola unit off a John Deere.

Dave

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good find tlt :eek:

Looks like British Pacific has the air dryer (VUB504700) and the compressor valve repair kit (LR020590) for $5.65

I think I'm going to give my 08 a quick tune up just to prevent any issues in the future that may crop up from the last 3 years of daily service

EDIT Corrected part number to prevent confusion

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That JRJ500020 comes up as an HVAC dryer, you sure that is for the air compressor?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM