Switching to LEDs for headlights 2010 lr4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced the bulbs (because why not) with Osram Laser Night Breaker bulbs.

Good to know. I'm pretty sure that your '11 and my '13 use the same H11 bulb (or a modified H9). I'm also non-adaptive so I think I'll give these a try.

Edit: My main reservation is based on reviews stating short life span. I turned on DRL so this would definitely be a factor for me.

Last edited:

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I'm pretty sure that your '11 and my '13 use the same H11 bulb (or a modified H9). I'm also non-adaptive so I think I'll give these a try.

Edit: My main reservation is based on reviews stating short life span. I turned on DRL so this would definitely be a factor for me.

the HID bulbs in MY11 are D3S, not H11.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leds give cleaner light and white light makes everything easier at night. Hids also get dimmer over time where leds stay true to their brightness till they die
I don't think this is accurate. Assuming you are talking about aftermarket LED lights, they may not be entirely plug+play, the color may be different but not necessarily improve visibility. What color temperature LED's are you considering? Anything more than ~5000K won't help you see at night. Standard HID's are usually in the 4000-5000K range which is ideal for maximum visibility.

My 2010 has standard halogens and I'd like to upgrade to factory HID's. You already have factory HID's... I think you may be experiencing some "grass is greener" effect...?

I agree with the previous post to install new HID burners if yours are 10 years old, and call it good. I'm also not sure if there are LED replacements available for HID burners. I've only seen LED replacement kits for halogens. (??)

BTW, H9/H11 are halogen bulbs, not HID.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also brighter light is not always better. A lot of lighting systems scatter light rather than placing it where it is needed. Shallow housings tend to struggle focusing the light long distance. I swear the LR3 HID housings are better as they throw similar bulb power more effectively.

LVDaytripper

Reaction score
Correct me if i am mistaken but LED headlights, from factory, has a specific reflector type to refocus the actual light into a useable beam and is the same for HID's and Halogens, since all three light sources have different light patterns. I don't believe you'll get the full potential of the different bulbs if you install them in the housing made for the specific lamp type.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... all three light sources have different light patterns. I don't believe you'll get the full potential of the different bulbs if you install them in the housing made for the specific lamp type.
I think you meant,

"I don't believe you'll get the full potential of the different bulbs unless you install them in the housing made for the specific lamp type."

If so, I agree 100%. The bulb type needs to match the housing/reflector design for that specific bulb.

I've recently seen some LED conversions made to replace halogen bulbs, but the price for name-brand stuff is insane, and they are physically much larger - may have fitment/clearance issues. I'd rather convert to factory HID's from my boring halogens.

:bike:

Louis Heinz

Reaction score
I have a 2010 lr4 with hid and I swapped to led. No issues, no codes. Looks great, visibility is much much better. Although I live in miami so I don’t deal with snow. But I have had no issues switching the C4BA89E6-BB37-4DF3-9B93-C0789D11101F.jpeg headlights to led. No issues at all.

Louis Heinz

Reaction score
just some food for thought...
my Audi with multi-projector LED headlights is not as good as my wifes Mercedes with single projector LED headlights.
the Mercedes throws light farther forward adn ot the sides, and has a sharper, flat cutoff.

comparing either of these to the the LR4 is...saddening.

My first issue when i got my LR4 was that the headlights were aimed terribly low. I could literally see the cutoff on the ground about 100ft in front of me. make sure this isnt your issue.
I adjusted the height and replaced the bulbs (because why not) with Osram Laser Night Breaker bulbs. the brightness and visibility is amazingly better. Brightness is on par with the Mercedes.

The one thing that still bothers me though is the cutoff dips down at the right and left sides, making visibility on the sides of the road no where near as far as directly in front of me. Unfortunately the only way to fix this is to disassemble the headlights and adjust the cutoff shield...somthign that was never intended to be a serviceable item.

these images are borrowed and not of either car, but a good example of the issues with the LR4 headlight beam.
how the LR4 cutoff is (this is not an LR4, just similar)
d6b9ANRh.jpg

how a proper cutoff shoudl look
GOODCUTOFF1381841476.jpg

I believe it’s done for safety. If a car is coming in the opposing lane you would shine the light in their eyes. The downward cutoff wouldn’t. Btw, I believe your comparison. Pictures are headlight low beam to headlight high beam because the high beam still has a cut off on the top but does extend to the sides as in your picture 2. I say this bc I just tested on my Ftype the low/high beam against my garage wall I could see that high beam does extend sideways.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why did you switch from HID to LED? What's the candlepower difference?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi