Terrible audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Webecinya

Reaction score
New to me base ‘12 LR4. Came from a ‘06 LR3. The audio in the 4 is horrible. Sounds flat or too high but can’t change any setting but bass treb and sub. I’ve played around with it adjusting and it sounds terrible. I’m very disappointed as the 3 sounded great.

Also when I connect my iPhone to the port with cable it will play for about 10 seconds then goes silent even though music is still playing on phone.

Am I missing something? It’s Harmon Kardon system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sub or other speaker out?

I'm no mobile audiophile by any stretch, but I have the same system and have no complaints for a factory radio .

If you have a code reader, a failed amp should be throwing a code, I believe.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The audio is not great. I have a ‘12 HSE with some form of upgraded audio system and it still has never been any good. I’ve not had the issue you around devices not playing but overall audio is very average. Also, when I looked into it, not any easy ways to upgrade the system.

I also have a ‘15 LR4 and FWIW, the audio is significantly improved (now, if I could just drop that V8 in - all would be good).

Webecinya

Reaction score
Sub seems fine. Speakers are working but sounds high pitched. Hard to explain but sounds bad. Radio, phone, all of it.

Just curious why it was great in LR3 then crap in 4.

Why would the iPhone play for a bit then go silent?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The audio in my '12 is the base-level audio system. It's fine, but not great. I had collected a bunch of nice home audio equipment and decided to sell it all off and just keep one home system, so I took the money and thought about upgrading the stereo in my LR4. The best local audio shop said that the LR4's audio system was designed to work in unison, and replacing the speakers without also replacing the amps and source wouldn't yield a good result. All told, upgrading the audio in the LR4 the correct way would cost $4-5k, or more. Wasn't worth it to me, considering car audio equipment loses most of its value the moment it's installed (my home audio stuff has been gaining in value). I decided to just live with the LR4's stereo as is.

That said, others on here have dropped in focal speakers and have liked them. I've thought about just doing that and see what happens, but haven't yet.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the HK system in the '13. Android via BT with custom equalizer settings + Dolby atmos is a huge improvement over what I had with the iPhone.

Webecinya

Reaction score
I think I must have a bad mid level amp. I can’t imagine this is normal.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t imagine this is normal.
I can't either. The HK system sounds great to me in general. My wife's '07 XC90 seems to have a little bit deeper bass definition but the clarity of the audio on the HK in the LR sounds much better. I would never call it "tinny" at all. Maybe worth having an audiophile check it out and diagnose?

Webecinya

Reaction score
Where exactly is the audio control module? I looked under passenger seat and nothing there. I didn’t pull up carpet just looked under seat. It appeared there was a bracket that was supposed to hold something but nothing was there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi