Thunking/Whirling noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clieman

Reaction score
I know there are post all over the forum about a "whine" that seems to increase with speed. I dont think this is the same thing. On my 01 DiscoII I hear a constant, low "thunking/whirling" noise while the vehicle is idling. Its usually after I have been driving and have stopped to park the vehicle. It usually goes away after a few moments. The noise is coming from underneath the console that houses the tranny shift lever (seems to be), but you cant hear it outside of the vehicle.

Any help would be appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would start by check the level of all the fluids, then I would make sure that you don't have bad cats, by gently tapping them with a rubber mallet.

clieman

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, Joey. I have checked all the fluids I can without dropping pans (cant check the tranny), but I will be changing the pick-up screen and flushing the trans this Friday (51k). I’m hoping that the noise is not the transmission fluid pump. The noise is definitely not a random anomaly; it has a constant, steady pulse (like machinery, like a pump). What else is down there? Plus, you mostly hear it at idle, and it changes speed when you put it in gear (I assume because of the RPM change). Maybe the fuel pump, depending on if it’s located in that area.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuel pump is in the trunk...

Could also be an exhaust manifold leak, LR's are known for that as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99