Ticking nose or just ticking bomb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermgallo

Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4 5.0, Since the change in weather I have been hearing a ticking nose on cold starts in the morning. Once I start rolling the nose goes away and doesn’t come back until the next cold morning. I had my mechanic listen to this video and he was unsure. He wants to start with the pulleys to see if the issue is there, if not the other idea was a bearing going out on the alternator. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if link isn’t working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 is a noisy engine even when new so it's hard to diagnose issues over the loud fuel injectors.

I will tell you that if your alternator is making that noise, the valve cover gasket above it may be leaking and dripping oil into the alternator. That happened on my LR4.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not timing chain noise. I believe that has something to do with viscous fan clutch. Type LR4 and clock into google and you should pull up similar videos.
Yep cooling fan, my LR3 made this same exact sound and it was the fan.

Jermgallo

Reaction score
The LR4 is a noisy engine even when new so it's hard to diagnose issues over the loud fuel injectors.

I will tell you that if your alternator is making that noise, the valve cover gasket above it may be leaking and dripping oil into the alternator. That happened on my LR4.

I checked after driving for a long while and I can’t see any oil leaking from anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is not timing chain noise. I believe that has something to do with viscous fan clutch. Type LR4 and clock into google and you should pull up similar videos.

Yes! This is it. I had my fan replaced and the noise was similar.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you just replaced the fan only and it stopped with the noise?
The click was coming from the fan assembly so I replaced it. The same exact sound yours is making and at first I thought it was a timing guide slapping.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72