Ticking nose or just ticking bomb?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermgallo

Reaction score
The click was coming from the fan assembly so I replaced it. The same exact sound yours is making and at first I thought it was a timing guide slapping.

Sweet well sounds like a quick and easy fix then. Thank you again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Red Landie

Reaction score
I also recorded the exact same sound coming from my LR4. And like yours, it occurred when the engine was just beginning to warm up. The dealer mechanic said it was *not* the timing chain, which has been a documented problem with this engine. According to the mechanic (extremely knowledgeable master mechanic), he said it was the fan clutch. This concurs with your other replies. Obviously a fan clutch is much easier to replace than the timing chain. A bit of good news, I suppose.

4csrehab

Reaction score
The LR4 is a noisy engine even when new so it's hard to diagnose issues over the loud fuel injectors.

I will tell you that if your alternator is making that noise, the valve cover gasket above it may be leaking and dripping oil into the alternator. That happened on my LR4.

wthammett

Reaction score
Wait, what? I have the same exact tic-toc sound upon start up only sometimes, yes appears to be more prevalent during the winter. I hear it for 10 sec or so then it goes away. For 4 years now I’ve convinced myself it was the chain tensioners and now you guys tell me it’s something to do with the fan? If it were the fan why would it be so wildly intermittent over a period of 4 years - strange but I appreciate the feedback for sure.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it sounds like a metronome on about a 1 second timing then it is not your timing chain.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it sounds like a metronome on about a 1 second timing then it is not your timing chain.

That, and when you pop the hood the fan noise clearly sounds external and not like it's coming from inside the engine.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2011 LR4 has been giving me what seems to be the same noise for 6+ years with no further problems. Some years ago I searched forums and convinced myself that it was just a feature. When I first noticed it I was sure it was either a failing water pump or timing chain...but after years of nothing getting worse, I'm convinced it is just an LR4 feature.

On cold mornings in Bozeman, one just learns to expect certain noises...the crunch of cold snow, and ticking from my LR4.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5.0L engine is noisy (typical for an early gen DI engine). It is the first thing I notice going from the 4.4 LR3 to the LR4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72