Tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rattlee

Reaction score
The LR4 2010 18" tires specifies that the pressure be 36PSI for the fronts and 42PSI for the rears.
Do i inflate the tires to the exact pressure indicated or should i have it at 36PSI for all four tires since i don't carry any cargo at all?

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do as it is instructed if not your tire pressure warning light will come on

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
For tires with short sidewalls like those on our LR4's it is especially important to keep the tires aired up. Low air pressure combined with a nasty pothole could result in a damaged rim.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we had a lot of discussion about this a year ago. Most thought it was best to run the pressure as it states. I however ran 42 in all 4 tires and was very happy with the ride and performance.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we had a lot of discussion about this a year ago. Most thought it was best to run the pressure as it states. I however ran 42 in all 4 tires and was very happy with the ride and performance.

Rob

At pick up there was 45 psi on all fours. I adjusted that to recommendations and felt the front was a little sloshy. So I now run 42 on all fours like Rob and find it just right.

Last edited:

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving with slightly lower pressure and after running 40 PSI on all four wheels it feels a lot better on the freeway.

I haven't had to air down off road yet (only done some rocky trails and beach sand) since the Discovery 4 performed great with only turning DSC off and lifting to off road height (didn't even require low range transfer). But in case I ever do (airing down makes a huge difference for traction) I carry a 12V compressor to air up again when I hit the road.

Last edited:

p-dawger

Reaction score
The reason for the discrepancy in the tires pressures is that the LR4 handles like a fine bucket of mashed potatoe's. That is it understeers like a pig when pressed (or in a panic situation)

That being said those folks that have elevated pressures - in a panic situation, rain snow loss of control, avoidance manuevers etc, you may wish you had a few less lbs on the front to keep the vehicle stable, when it is plowing into something that you do not want to hit.

FWIW. (The pressures are set at the factory spec for a reason)

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The specs indicated are actually different for fully loaded (5 adults plus luggage) and partially loaded (4 adults) conditions.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The specs indicated are actually different for fully loaded (5 adults plus luggage) and partially loaded (4 adults) conditions.

I went with 40 PSI all around on the new Coopers and was able to get rid of a TPMS fault.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 42 psi all around with proper alignment and am getting even tire wear. Just hit 106,000 miles last week, and car was new May 2011.

-B

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99