Tire situation - what would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a blast doing some wheeling over the weekend, but it's going to cost me one way or another! I tore the tread off one tire (Dueler H/L) so I'm at a cross-roads. I see that it's popular to get some 18" wheels for more tire selection. I am not opposed to that, but I hate to just waste the three good tires I have, with about 50% tread left. Not to mention the added cost of new (or used) wheels.

What I want to do is find a 50% used dueler and replace it and worry about this next summer, but that may not be the most economical in the long run. That is if I can even find a used tire.

My rig (well, I mean my wife's rig) does 95% highway driving, so while I want a nice AT that does descent off-road, I can't get her a tire that produces a lot more noise. catch 22 right??

And what about the spare?? Why can't they get these tires to run normal speeds? I don't understand it at all! We were almost 300 miles from home and had to drive back on the spare. I took it easy, but I did not go 50mph! Anyone ever find a tire for that wheel that is designed for normal use?

J.D.

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a blast doing some wheeling over the weekend, but it's going to cost me one way or another! I tore the tread off one tire (Dueler H/L) so I'm at a cross-roads. I see that it's popular to get some 18" wheels for more tire selection. I am not opposed to that, but I hate to just waste the three good tires I have, with about 50% tread left. Not to mention the added cost of new (or used) wheels.

What I want to do is find a 50% used dueler and replace it and worry about this next summer, but that may not be the most economical in the long run. That is if I can even find a used tire.

My rig (well, I mean my wife's rig) does 95% highway driving, so while I want a nice AT that does descent off-road, I can't get her a tire that produces a lot more noise. catch 22 right??

And what about the spare?? Why can't they get these tires to run normal speeds? I don't understand it at all! We were almost 300 miles from home and had to drive back on the spare. I took it easy, but I did not go 50mph! Anyone ever find a tire for that wheel that is designed for normal use?

J.D.

did you ever find a suitable replacement?

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not yet. still looking. i found a used set of goodyears that i may have to swap to and then see if there is anyone else in my predicament to use my good three.

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J_man

not yet. still looking. i found a used set of goodyears that i may have to swap to and then see if there is anyone else in my predicament to use my good three.

Fyi, Ive been able to get crazy deals including tires at the local dealers since lotsa times people upgrade for larger highend wheels.

Xrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
19" to 18"

I had the stock 19" wheels and the Goodyear HP tires on my 06 LR3 HSE. Off road on trails or hills I could go anywhere a jeep with bald tires could go. I bought my LR3 to enjoy the on road comfort and take it for some ********* off roading. I have been an avid off road guy since I was 17. I've had 2 Toyota 4X4 Pickups, 3 Jeep CJ's, Broncos, Jimmy's and 3 Chevy Avalanches. All 4x4 an all with A/T tires.

Nobody makes a decent A/T tire for the 19" wheels. Unless you want to drop $300 ea. for Goodyear M/T.

I sold my 19's and stepped down to 18's which gave me more tire options as well as more tire to cushion the ride. I couldn't find any used LR3 18's so I ended up getting a set of Satin Black 18" Dub Drones with Hancook ATM tires. The wheels were $120 ea. and the tires were $130 ea.

These Hancooks are now my favorite A/T tire. On my priors vehicles I have had The Bridgestone Duehlers, Goodyear Wranglers, BFG A/T's Pro Comps etc.. and although the BFG/s were fantastic, they were also ugly. Putting a good set of real A/T tires on the LR3 was like putting on your favorite pair of shoes. They felt great on the street, Pretty quiet. Almost the same Gas Mileage as the Goodyears were getting, Look incredible, Awesome price and off road I was going up off camber rutted hills on the first attempt. It took a Jeep Wrangler 3 tries and after he made it up, I followed next and made it the first time.

The LR3 is truly one of the most capable factory off road/All Terrain Luxury vehicles ever built. With the right pair of shoes it can prove it !!

As far as the Black Dub wheels, They have held up off road and look cool but were not a wise choice by me for off roading around any rocks.

Good A/T tires on an LR3 and you will surely **** a lot of stock Jeep owners off.

Last edited:

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xrover

I had the stock 19" wheels and the Goodyear HP tires on my 06 LR3 HSE. Off road on trails or hills I could go anywhere a jeep with bald tires could go. I bought my LR3 to enjoy the on road comfort and take it for some ********* off roading. I have been an avid off road guy since I was 17. I've had 2 Toyota 4X4 Pickups, 3 Jeep CJ's, Broncos, Jimmy's and 3 Chevy Avalanches. All 4x4 an all with A/T tires.

Nobody makes a decent A/T tire for the 19" wheels. Unless you want to drop $300 ea. for Goodyear M/T.

I sold my 19's and stepped down to 18's which gave me more tire options as well as more tire to cushion the ride. I couldn't find any used LR3 18's so I ended up getting a set of Satin Black 18" Dub Drones with Hancook ATM tires. The wheels were $120 ea. and the tires were $130 ea.

These Hancooks are now my favorite A/T tire. On my priors vehicles I have had The Bridgestone Duehlers, Goodyear Wranglers, BFG A/T's Pro Comps etc.. and although the BFG/s were fantastic, they were also ugly. Putting a good set of real A/T tires on the LR3 was like putting on your favorite pair of shoes. They felt great on the street, Pretty quiet. Almost the same Gas Mileage as the Goodyears were getting, Look incredible, Awesome price and off road I was going up off camber rutted hills on the first attempt. It took a Jeep Wrangler 3 tries and after he made it up, I followed next and made it the first time.

The LR3 is truly one of the most capable factory off road/All Terrain Luxury vehicles ever built. With the right pair of shoes it can prove it !!

As far as the Black Dub wheels, They have held up off road and look cool but were not a wise choice by me for off roading around any rocks.

Good A/T tires on an LR3 and you will surely **** a lot of Jeep owners off.

Im currently rockin Zeons and been happy from rox to ruff terrain but they kinda tend to gunked up in sticky clay & mud and alike when more aggressive luggs seem the answer. Ditto on the BFGs tho plus the stronger sidewalls too. My Coops have served well look classy and quiet too but I never even thought about the Hankooks... :ahhhhh: Your avatar tires look like my Zeons :hmmmm:

Last edited:

Xrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken the Hankooks in any wet stuff yet. I will try that out this winter. I never heard of the Hankooks until the guy at the tire shop told me about them and how inexpensive they are. I read a lot of posts and reviews and they sounded like a good way to go. I've only got about 3K miles on them but so far I am diggin them.

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xrover

:rock:
I haven't taken the Hankooks in any wet stuff yet. I will try that out this winter. I never heard of the Hankooks until the guy at the tire shop told me about them and how inexpensive they are. I read a lot of posts and reviews and they sounded like a good way to go. I've only got about 3K miles on them but so far I am diggin them.

Send a pix man! Lemme see them bad boys at play :rock:

Xrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only pics I have are ones I got out of the Rover and shot. My friends are usually too scared or lazy to get out and shoot some action stuff. Lol
This is from this past weekend up in Big Bear. Love that place..

Last edited:

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer aboutthe tire and running on the spare. I kept my 19s, found a 5th for underneath and slip on 5 GY MTRs for the quarterly offroading my truck wants and needs in its life.

While Im sure you would appreciate the MTRs, your wife would leave you over the sound. My wife doesnt think the MTRs are any louder that the HPs I took off (they had 28K miles on them and were pretty badly worn unevenly) but each person is different and I love the sound they make....but on some highway surfaces they do sound like a Stuka going in for the ****!

But the used fifth rim I picked up on here from a member for $150 shipped fro mthe east coast to the midwest...this way there is a full size any speed spare at my disposal.

a full size spare would help in that arena, as for tires there have been exhaustive links throughout this sight and the disco3 UK site about this.

Good luck. BTW tirerack has te MTRs listed at $269.00 a tire-if only I would have waited 2 months longer to buy them (a local shop price matched tirerack for me at just over 300 per tire in July :mad:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99