Tire Styling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the Johnson Rods website the rods are actually 2.5"... I initially noticed that while searching the Green Oval Experience rods (Australian company and off road instructor).
http://johnsonrods.com/index.html
This will give you even less room. Actually based on your picture you wouldn't be able to enter your garage...
Have you looked into the Gap IIDTool? You could set up a custom height that would enable you to have larger tires and still use your garage

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LLAMS might be the way to go. You have 9 height settings.
I have 285/60/18 and I can drop the car into access height on the car and low on the LLAMS and I ride on the bump stops. Very bumpy buy good for clearances.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya, ill see about LLAMS, its probably better long term anyway.

Here is access height, showing the top of the rack and the floor of the rack. I couldn't fit the spare up there today if I wanted.

IMG_20130802_085111_zpsf7ce2360.jpg

IMG_20130802_085316_zpsad52a68c.jpg

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah even with -20mm from the LLAMS I don't think it would fit. You sir need a new bumper with a swing away tire mount ;)

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to have someone fix my damn garage. Seems like 265/65/18 will work fine even without getting rods or llams. I re-read an email I got from compomotive talking about that size, saying it needs a little light trimming of the plastic, but it will work.

I might even try it and then decide later about the height mods.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/60/18 and 265/65/18 - about the same overall diameter - will fit with no modifications and near zero rubbing. Only when the tires are new you may get some light rubbing in certain specific areas of the rear and front wheel wells. The plastic liner may wear out and sometimes even perforate over time if your suspensions get compressed a lot while off-roading, but that's the extent of the damage you'll suffer.

You'll have a harder time fitting a 265/65/18 spare under the car. Even when almost fully deflated, a stiff compound like a BFG TA/KO is not very "compliant" and it will be a ***** to slide it up the well (although it should fit eventually.) The 285/60/18 Cooper Zeons I had on my Sport were super snug in there, after deflating them to 10 psi or so, and nowhere near as stiff as a BFG sidewall would be. That's the chief reason why I went with a slightly smaller tire on my LR4, 275/60/18 Yoko Geolandar AT-S. No rubbing, no deflating, no problems. I did take the exhaust heat shield down for some extra breathing room.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info umbertob.

I could still go with P265/60R18 Wrangler SilentArmor diam=30.5" height=30.52 width=10.43

That will fit with no problems and zero rubbing. I just need to figure out how much pain im willing to put up with for the larger size. It's starting to sound like its not worth it maybe.

I am just in such awe when I see an LR3/4 with the larger sizes. They look amazing and unique. Also the extra inch of height could really be nice off road.

man, decisions, decisions....

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info umbertob.

I could still go with P265/60R18 Wrangler SilentArmor diam=30.5" height=30.52 width=10.43

That will fit with no problems and zero rubbing. I just need to figure out how much pain im willing to put up with for the larger size. It's starting to sound like its not worth it maybe.

I am just in such awe when I see an LR3/4 with the larger sizes. They look amazing and unique. Also the extra inch of height could really be nice off road.

man, decisions, decisions....
I am saving this thread for when I get the 18" Compomotives next year. :)

Man, couldn't we have found a cheaper hobby? I am looking at so many things!

I think I am going to pull the trigger on the IID Tool now - the BT. I got the information and all set, just need to send the money (I think it's $550.00 Canadian).

-David

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what I would use the IID tool for really... thats not on my mod list for now, but a TON of other stuff is.

> Voyager Rock Sliders INSTALLED
> Voyager Roof Rack INSTALLED
> Voyager Ladder INSTALLED
> 18" Compomotives ORDERED
> Goodyear Silent Armour SOON
> TPMS sensors (5) SOON
> Johnson Rods 2.5" Lift
> LLAMs height controller
> Traxide Dual Battery D3-BS $410.00
> LED Lighting, Rear worklight
> LED Lighting, Front bar
> Front Skid Plate
> CB Radio
> Jerry Cans
> Hidden Winch
> Compressor
> ARB Recovery Kit

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I did just install some lamin-x headlight protection. The clear ones. My lights already started getting a few nicks and scratches, not sure from what, but I wanted to do that to protect them.

I love having flat, square headlights, makes that lamination stuff SO much more easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM