To Snorkel or NOT to Snorkel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audioclay

Reaction score
Ok, first off, it's for a V-8 petrol and NO! I don't plan on going diving or above mid axle... But, does it increase air flow? It has to be better than getting it out of the wheel well? And which one? Safety Devices is the best one I've seen, but good luck finding that one... So, its Mantec or ARB. Any thoughts?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
This is more of a personal preference than and actual usable item... no, the snorkel will not provided better or colder air flow.

It will look good on a Rover though...

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say not too practical. By the time you got deep enuff to have the snorkel pay off all your electrics will be soaked unless everything is sealed good.
The only way I can see a snorkel working good in air quality is if you lived somewhere where you had alot of dust. You could put a pre filter up there at the top. Even then, probally not by much.

They do look cool though but for the money and usefullness you wont see me with one.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmmm? Obviously a matter of personal taste - and I went ahead with the ARB snorkel and I could not be happier; yes, and it does look great! But as for CFM moving into that throttle body - yes, I think our pals from Oz are on to something; consider the following basic ear-test (assuming you still have your hearing): start your engine unsnorkeled and listen to the intake on your standard LR air cleaner (obviously, with the hood up) - you will hear it modestly sucking in air. Now, once you have it snorkeled - let it idle on your driveway with your ear outside the window and you will hear one mighty difference - there is a lot more CFM moving into that engine - no question about it (I used to own a 1969 Dodge Superbee with a 383 Magnum and functional ram-air - when you opened the hood-scoops at good highway speed it was like adding another 50 hp - you heard it and you felt it). I am still not convinced, though, that having the ARB Safari snorkel scoop face forward is as good as turning it around for invection? Areodynamics tells us that there is probably quite a bit of baffeling and buffeting going on with the scoop facing into the breeze - so this would be a question for the boys who have acces to a wind-tunnel.

Another advantage is on host dusty roads - you will have much cleaner and cooler air go into your engine from that height advantage - the ARB boys proved this. And, if you want to play U-boat commander - well, good luck - just don't go in over your axels.

In the final analysis though, even if you stick a blower on that engine - GEMS will do its level-best to tamp it down so the first step is to open up GEMS via chipping (that's what all the Brit experts with these V8's do and they seem to get good results).

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool dog

Audioclay : The cigar smokin dog Avatar is cool........
Chongo :bandit:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9