Trailer Wiring Harness Issue - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a strange issue that's been bugging me for a long time and need some help:

Symptom: trailer blinkers works intermittent. Sometimes left doesn't work, sometimes right doesn't work.

What I have done: I took it to dealer and they said "chances are" it's wiring harness. Took it to local shop and they said the same thing. So, I bought a brand new OEM tailer wiring harness and installed them myself. Quite straight forward installation.

Yesterday, I was towing a trailer and it happened again. So, I thought it gotta be the trailer wiring and somewhere wiring is loose. So, I parked the car (left blinker was still running but trailer blinker was not working) then I turned the engine off. Guess what, as soon as I turned the ignition key one down, trailer blinker started working. That tells me that it's not loose wire since my care was parked on flat surface.

Does that mean it's internal wiring issue somewhere in LR3? Could it still be trailer wiring issue?

Before I go to dealer again with this issue, I thought maybe I can ask you guys first. Anybody experienced the same issue before? Any input would be appreciated.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little green trailer symbol flashing?

Can you try the trailer light setup on a different vehicle?

Also can you find a different trailer to hook up to? Maybe go to U-Haul and ask to hook to one of their trailers that does not have LED bulbs. I say that as LED bulbs in the trailer are not liked by the LR3.

I suspect there is a bulb problem either with your 3 or the trailer; most likely the trailer and the bulb testing system in your 3 is picking that up when the engine is running but does not when the engine is off. The testing system is kind of expecting to see quality bulbs everywhere and if the trailer has far east sourced bulbs, or there are grounding concerns related to the trailer lights, then problems can show up when the engine is running in the 3 and all the computers are in operation.

Also does the little green trailer symbol light to the bottom right of the centre rectangular message display on the dash blink when the trailer is hooked up and a left or right signal light is flashing? If not, then the vehicle is not recognizing the trailer or does not like what it sees. That is why I suggested a different trailer and see what happens. You have a better chance of figuring out what is wrong than the dealer does as the problem is most likely within the trailer wiring.

Note that the trailer wiring as installed may be OK for normal vehicles but may not be for the 3 because of the increased sophistication of the 3.

When all is well with the trailer lighting, the green trailer light will blink when a turn signal is called for; also the rear backup sensors are deactivated, and other systems are engaged or disengaged.

The link below has some material related to the trailer light wiring which may be helpful.

http://www.**************/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4497

Insert disco3 co uk where the ***** are and put a period in each of the two spaces.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635