Trailer Wiring Kit from Atlantic British

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My husband bought the Trailer Wiring Kit from Atlantic British for our 2011 LR4. He is having a really hard time with this step (see below pic) to get the connector in place to line up the 4 screw holes. He has twisted and turned as the instructions suggest but to no avail. In the picture below, the 4 pin connector appears to be on the bottom, but the part we received, the connector is on the left edge and perhaps we got the wrong part? Anyone have trouble with this part and any suggestions?

upload_2020-5-9_1-8-7.png

Here is the picture of the part we received with the 4 pins on the left edge:

VPLAT0013ABP-02.jpg

Last edited:

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours was a little annoying to install. I would recommend dropping the spare tire to get more room to work.

I remember that we had to rotate the connector to figure out the best way to fit it. I think I installed it so that the four pin connector is on the right and closer to the tow hook. You can also try it with the four pin on the left and see if that fits better.

We also had to move the rubber grommets by removing and reinstalling the electrical tape. This created a better routing solution.

Hope that helps.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Michael Gain Thank you so much for the response. He did drop the spare tire and with lots of futzing, finally got the piece in place with the 4 pins on the left. However, the screws just won't hold. I crawled underneath with a flashlight while he is turning the screws and I'm able to see 3 of the 4 screws are in place and turning. But no matter how much he turns, the piece just won't hold. I can't see the fourth screw with the angle I was at, so I'm not sure if that last screw was lined up or not. He's at the point where he's not sure he's stripped the screws out now, after trying for so long. Did you have issues with the screws?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hardest part was rotating the connector around in every direction to get it through the hole in the bumper.

I did strip out the head on one of the screws. Pretty sure I ended up replacing 2 of the screws with better quality stainless steel screws.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After lots more futzing, he finally got it installed, but with the pins on the right side instead of the left. It really shouldn't be this hard... he was working on it all day yesterday and then this morning.

Another question - did you guys change any towing settings, either using the Gap/IIDTool or going to a dealer? It seems some people had the dealer turn on some towing settings, some people used their own IIDTool, and others didn't bother to change any settings at all. We will be towing an enclosed single axle 6x12 cargo trailer, less than 3000 lbs fully loaded, with brakes and using the 7 pin connector. We have the 2011 LR4 LUX with HD and vision package. We don't have the IIDTool.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't change anything. Just hooked up the boat trailer and everything worked fine.

Rear view camera worked great to line-up the hitch with the trailer.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@waltzonice glad he got it installed! The screws are so fine threaded that it does feel like you are screwing them in forever.

Like @PaulLR3, plugging in the trailer is enough to activate the system. There is a YouTube video of the trailer setup steps. I'll post it if I can find it again

dc_v01

Reaction score
We will be towing an enclosed single axle 6x12 cargo trailer, less than 3000 lbs fully loaded, with brakes and using the 7 pin connector. We have the 2011 LR4 LUX with HD and vision package. We don't have the IIDTool.
You will probably want to get an IIDTool. Yes, you can tow a trailer without changing any settings, the lights/brakes will all work, but it is far from optimal. In my experience the dealer will not know anything about this, can't do it, and will tell you that having your rear parking sensors going off all the time is normal. Since you have the vision package, there are additional options. With the IIDTool you'll need to adjust at least two so the truck will know to activate the sway control for safety and you can get your parking sensors muted with trailer assist and hitch hookup.

Justin Barden

Reaction score
This is a perfect Thread.. thanks. I just bought the Atlantic British wiring harness that will deliver today for a 2012 LR4 HSE, with an aftermarket E-Trailer towing hitch. The installation video on their website makes it seem pretty easy, but sounds like it can be tricky from this thread.

Correct me if I am wrong. I can hook up the harness to my trailer that has 4 pins, but the trailer doesn't have any breaks.. (Single Axle pulling a small 20ft Key West Boat, trailer is about 25 ft) After hooking up the lights etc will all work and not cause any issues. However, if I want to enable the Towing features I need a dealer or independent mechanic to change my software. Sounds like that is about $75? or so, but sometimes the Dealer isn't experienced with it. I only have the backup camera.. not side Cameras s this software update will give the following options; Towing Sway control, it will turn off the Parking sounds while I am towing/backing up, it will turn on the directional guidance on the backup camera.

Does that about sum it up? Or would I have to have the HSE Lux package for these options?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ours was a little annoying to install. I would recommend dropping the spare tire to get more room to work.

I remember that we had to rotate the connector to figure out the best way to fit it. I think I installed it so that the four pin connector is on the right and closer to the tow hook. You can also try it with the four pin on the left and see if that fits better.

We also had to move the rubber grommets by removing and reinstalling the electrical tape. This created a better routing solution.

This was my install experience to a tee, on both of my LR4s. Except in my case I had the reverse of the OP's situation with loose screws. For me, the screws to mount the connector were incredibly tight. I also had the issue with the grommet not placed correctly. I made it work as-is because I didn't want to undo that tape job. However I did remove a bit of tape to free up more of the grounding wire from the loom.

I would be curious to hear from people who have installed the much more expensive OEM kit. I wonder if the QA on that item is different than AB's.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM