Transmission Maintenance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deeb

Reaction score
the vehicle is a 98 discovery with 107K.

i am getting ready to do a transmission drain (auto gearbox and transfer box)
ive read up on how to do it in rave, sounds easy as engine oil...

however, the more i search the more controversy i find on whether it should be done professionally or not.

anyone shine some light on this please?
anything i should be prepared for other than drain and refill?

also considering a lucas product in at least the auto trans, how about the transfer?

lastly, the manual says i need dextron IID for the gearbox. does napa atf meet the requirements?

thanks
chad

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
first, be prepared to change the fluid again within the week and change the filter as well. The heavy detergents in transmission fluid will clean out all the junk in your transmission and this will clog the filter (if you have not been changing fluid ever 30 - 40k miles) this is what causes all transmissions to fail when people change the fluid. They change it, the filter clogs up and the transmission burns up due to lack of fluid and pressure.

Dextron III will work fine, just be prepared to change the fluid and filter within the next 500 miles.

deeb

Reaction score
thanks joey.

youre the man. saved my disco yet again!

so by filter im assuimg youre referring to what the manual calls the screen (up in the sump)?
is is possible to get to that without pulling to cats/crossmembers off?

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You have to remove the crossmember.... I am pretty sure you have to remove the "Y" pipe to get the crossmember off.

I no longer have a "Y" pipe from the factory :biggrin" so I just have to remove the crossmember.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With your mileage, don't let a shop flush the system, too many trannys have died from this process when their mileage is too high.
When was the filter/ATF last changed, how brown is the fluid, does it have a burned smell?

deeb

Reaction score
With your mileage, don't let a shop flush the system, too many trannys have died from this process when their mileage is too high.
When was the filter/ATF last changed, how brown is the fluid, does it have a burned smell?

thanks mike. i have no idea when the filter and fluid were changed. i just got the truck after it had sat for a year.

ill bleed a little fluid out and see how nasty it is.

im thinking i will bring it to my buddys shop and have him do a drain/refill/filter change.
i dont have the ambition to get that sump dropped myself.

thanks
chad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM