Trip to Moab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I took a road trip from Dallas to Moab this past week for our anniversary as a change up from our usual SFO/west coast trips. Unfortunately, I was only able to do one day of off-roading since we had rafting and repelling in the agenda along with Game of Thrones marathon that I promised my wife we would start when we had free time. :smile:

We were able to do Shafer Trail to parts of White Rim trail that took us over to Musselman arch. From there, we headed back to dead Horse lookout point and eventually headed back to Moab through Pucker Pass. I wished we had more time and quite honestly, another off-roader since we were flying blind on our own. That said, the LR4 handled everything like a champ. I have never used the down hill assist before because I always thought I could do a better job controlling the speed and braking. There were a few instances on Shafer Trail and especially on Pucker Pass that were steep and offered me the opportunity to give the down hill assist a shot, which I have to say I was extremely impressed. It allowed me to focus on steering and navigating through my lines while the LR4 kept control and traction.

As far as my impression of Moab, it was awesome not only from an off-roading perspective but also the people and the hospitality. The house rental we stayed at, StellaRuby Cottages, was amazing and the owner's brother provided me the trail path that we ended up taking given we were going alone and my desire to keep it easy. Everyone was so nice and seem to be very happy and proud to represent Moab and all it had to offer. On a side note, I was not aware of how many international folks travel there for vacation, especially Europeans during the summer months. We had quite a few French and German folks on our rafting and repelling tours.

went up a hill off of Shafer Trail:
9528857472_2992c1456e_z.jpg

9528850812_0e6ee2878f_z.jpg

9526062115_3490f97949_z.jpg

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Last few photos:

Great view on one of the switch backs around the canyon:
9528842406_1b84577d3c_z.jpg

We stopped off in Durango, CO for lunch on our way up to Moab:
9528874562_b81ee0d40b_z.jpg

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I have to ask, what was the Game of Thrones marathon? Also, no Lions back?

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. I have to ask, what was the Game of Thrones marathon? Also, no Lions back?

Thanks guys! It was alot of fun and I wished I could have done more. If LR national really is back in Moab next year, I may go back. I debated between Moab or LR national rally in Ouray this year and decided on Moab since that's really where I wanted to go but was worried about going it alone.

Germ, my wife and I were wanting to start watching the Game of Thrones series on HBO so I brought my iPad and we watched it through the HBO to Go app. I believe it is currently on the 3rd season so we had to start with the first :)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome photos - really enjoyed them.

I love Moab, but have yet to go in my new LR4..... Soon though.......

-David

GermanRoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Germ, my wife and I were wanting to start watching the Game of Thrones series on HBO so I brought my iPad and we watched it through the HBO to Go app. I believe it is currently on the 3rd season so we had to start with the first :)

Gotcha. I was hoping you we're going to say that Moab hosts a Game of Thrones themed 26.2 mile race (marathon). Complete with the Starks, Lannisters, and of course Daenarys Targaryen. Hope you're enjoying it!

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love seeing off-road pics of an LR4 the same color as the one I ordered. Cheers!

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice thanks for sharing. how you like those cooper tires?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM